UncleJohn

Deal to sell off end of Neptune Ave to Real Estate Developer

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Has anybody seen the article at NJ.com about Deal selling off the End of Neptune Ave to a Real Estate Developer?    If this goes through, then we would lose one more beach access spot.....  This would turn the public street into private land.

Neptune Ave.jpg

Edited by UncleJohn

Is this .15 acres just so that some snob can have private access to the beach?  The local government is honestly using public access in its current state as encouragement for this sale....  As in, pay this exorbitant fee to keep the sleazy townspeople off your beach.  Great

Deal just keeps banging and banging away - effing relentless in their efforts to make their entire stretch of beach off-limits to lowlife, scumbags - otherwise known as the PUBLIC.

49 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Has anybody seen the article at NJ.com about Deal selling off the End of Neptune Ave to a Real Estate Developer?    If this goes through, then we would lose one more beach access spot.....  This would turn the public street into private land.

Neptune Ave.jpg

Posted couple weeks ago in fishing thread and admin put it in a thread titled fight beach replenishment? My other thought was guys should reach out to littoral group cause they fight similar issues sometimes

I am against selling public land obviously, but this is a weird situation. It appears that this location isn't much of an access point as it is. Seems like a bunch of rocks and whatnot and you cannot even really get to the beach. Is this the case?

Edited by hurricane1091

12 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I am against selling public land obviously, but this is a weird situation. It appears that this location isn't much of an access point as it is. Seems like a bunch of rocks and whatnot and you cannot even really get to the beach. Is this the case?

Not sure,  Never actually stopped there.  It is listed in the article as one of Deals Public Access Locations.   I just read the article and took it as a bad precedent....    

Edited by UncleJohn

11 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

The problem is that this case may set a precedent for other wealthy shore towns to purchase public property for the purpose of denying the public access to their beach while at same time they accept public financing for beach replenishment 

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

You are correct, not an access point now that I think about it.  Could easily become one though with a simple set of wood stairs

10 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

You are correct, not an access point now that I think about it.  Could easily become one though with a simple set of wood stairs

Who's going to put the stairs in, the town?  :laugh:

3 mins ago, fishless said:

Who's going to put the stairs in, the town?  :laugh:

Funny right:point:

But it is a potential access point that would certainly be removed from the public domain forever once this is sold.  That's where my beef is 

3 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Funny right:point:

But it is a potential access point that would certainly be removed from the public domain forever once this is sold.  That's where my beef is 

I get it and for sure this would set a precedent and should be fought.  Think about Darlington for example.  That access has been a hazard for 10 years.  It's the highlight that the elected officials point toward to say, look, we provide public access, while behind closed doors they laugh knowing it's unsafe, knowing only those fit enough to descend and ascend that bluff can use it.   And proof they simply don't care.

If this was before the beach replenishment, then I would be out of my mind about this plan, as this stretch of beach was so pretty and full of fish.  Since the replenishment its a desert.  I can't even bring myself to go and look at it now.  Completely destroyed..

Neptune Ave did have a set of stairs before Sandy and have not been replaced despite the 100's of millions that have been dumped into that town.

Many years ago a guy by the last name of Axelrod built the wall at the end of Marine Place.  Did it without permits and nothing was done to hold him accountable.  Marine Place had access prior to that.

21 mins ago, cartopper said:

Many years ago a guy by the last name of Axelrod built the wall at the end of Marine Place.  Did it without permits and nothing was done to hold him accountable.  Marine Place had access prior to that.

Herb Axelrod.  He was one of the most interesting guys you could ever meet.  Brilliant. Loaded. That guy had a sportfish in Belmar for years (a 38 Runaway I think).  Owned Stradivarius violins. He was also considered a top resource on Aquariums as he wrote several books on the subject. Lots a funny business with $$$ and was considered to be very well connected.  Think Hesh from the Sopranos.