Is the loaded 5” Redfin “obsolete”?

Rate this topic

jesgord

Am in the process of loading up a bunch of 5” redfins that I got over the summer for next season. Not a hard thing to do and not that time consuming. Wondering, though, with the productivity of the SP minnow and Hydro minnow whether it’s worth it?  Have modern minnows with their weight transfer systems and similar profiles rendered the 5” loaded Redfin obsolete?  

16 mins ago, jesgord said:

Am in the process of loading up a bunch of 5” redfins that I got over the summer for next season. Not a hard thing to do and not that time consuming. Wondering, though, with the productivity of the SP minnow and Hydro minnow whether it’s worth it?  Have modern minnows with their weight transfer systems and similar profiles rendered the 5” loaded Redfin obsolete?  

Never . . . the 5" has a different swimming pattern and profile.  The Hydro Minnow 150 v 7" loaded redfin . . . IDK, jury still out.  The Hydro Minnow was very productive in situations where I would have normally used a loaded 7" redfin.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

I know I'm in the minority, but I think the SP is way overrated.  I call it the "rat magnet".  5" and 7" redfins are far superior IMO.  Different swimming action and depth (loaded or unloaded).  I find the SP swims too deep in many places I fish.  I can't speak for the Hydro Minnow.

I have the same issue with SP's running too deep, so I alter them to make them run shallower. I put a pin in the cavity to keep the weights from sliding all the way to the head. 

I don't think I will give up Redfins. I still like Top Guns. Neither is obsolete, their are just out of fashion. 

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

58 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

I have the same issue with SP's running too deep, so I alter them to make them run shallower. I put a pin in the cavity to keep the weights from sliding all the way to the head. 

I don't think I will give up Redfins. I still like Top Guns. Neither is obsolete, their are just out of fashion. 

Good idea

I have a 5 inch Redfin that I loaded and I was wondering what you typically use to replace the hooks.    The stock hooks are very thin wire.    I have tried replacing the front treble with a VMC 3x size 1 and left the rear treble off.    What do you guys use to replace hooks on the 5 inch Redfin ? 

Red fins are ok but don’t cast that well 

I had them loaded with #9 shot, oil and not loaded. Did the 5 gal water test on them when loading. 
Sold them all off. Better options out there for me. But there is one guy on LBI that uses them and casts them really well. No tumbling. I’m amazed when I watch him. So it must be me.