flyangler

Are There People Left in the USA Persuadable by Media Editorial Pages?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Seriously, in a world where the Media is distrusted by a majority of Americans, do the papers' editors and owners think people care about their editorial page opinions? I mean, other than preaching to those who Already agree with them, who are they trying to persuade?

And does reporting on the tally of papers calling for Trump's impeachment matter? Does more biased and dishonest opinionating make those opinions any less odorous? 

Over at InstaPundit: 

THE MEDIA’S SELF-IMPORTANT IMPOTENCE: A friend on Facebook writes:

A boomlet among talking heads and media pundits is currently tallying up all the newspapers calling for impeachment.

But among major dailies now endorsing impeachment, all except one endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016. (The exception, USA Today, endorsed “not Trump” — stay brave, Gannett.)

My point: Newspapers overwhelmingly urged the country to go one direction in 2016, and it went the other way.

That’s relevant now, as it was then.

In other industries, broad distrust of your product and fleeing customers *might* lead to a little caution before swinging for the fences on very divisive topics.

Maybe it would lead to a little introspection. Even humility.

But we’re not seeing that. And while it doesn’t say much about impeachment one way or the other, it says a lot about a media class that still believes its role is to pronounce which opinions are correct.

The large corporate news media executives are tone deaf at this point. They used to bring the news to their audience, now they bring opinions and conjecture. They self emulated their shield of neutrality and exposed their audience to their inner hopes and dreams for a radicalized country. Where it is acceptable to have government agencies view the law as being as flexible as one’s gender identity these days.

In the vacuum, there will be room for other news sources to grow and this will make the establishment media even less relevant. Newspapers are shrinking, and it isn’t because of the internet either. It is because people do not want to pay for something that is filled with ads and the opinions of those that haven’t gotten it right in a really long time. ABC hired their little leprechaun straight from the Clinton White House, propped him up in a chair that makes his stature appear equal to the girl’s, and expected people to consider him to be a serious journalist. They present fraud and deception and deflection as if it were somehow necessary to society. They produce propaganda, and now that the people are seeing the tanks approaching, they no longer believe Baghdad Bob.

I am grateful that this has occurred as it couldn’t happen to a bunch of more ideally suited jerks. I have watched them lie to us for decades, and they really do need to just go away. They abused their gift.

Most people think all the pages of a newspaper are editorial pieces.  By having what they label an editorial page that mirrors their front page language they only confirm it.

I can't remember the last time I sat down, and read a newspaper front to back, like i used to do every day.

I may catch an article on line here, or there, but that is it.

To say newspapers are irrelevant is the understatement of the morning.

1 min ago, dena said:

I can't remember the last time I sat down, and read a newspaper front to back, like i used to do every day.

I may catch an article on line here, or there, but that is it.

To say newspapers are irrelevant is the understatement of the morning.

Fish wrap.... 

3 mins ago, J said:

Fish wrap.... 

They did it to themselves, I have no sympathy for them, or loyalty to them.

I did used to enjoy my daily papers, pre internet, but, they jacked the daily prices to that of a Sunday paper, and fired many good writers...more money for less, and lower quality, content isn't a winning business model. 

8 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Seriously, in a world where the Media is distrusted by a majority of Americans, do the papers' editors and owners think people care about their editorial page opinions? I mean, other than preaching to those who Already agree with them, who are they trying to persuade?...............

Over the last 20 years, in mainly 3 different jobs, I've worked with many teachers, doctors, nurses, PhDs, and various "educated" office personnel.

Form "George Bush is going to have a Draft to fuel the Iraq war" to "Donald Trump colluded with Russia in Trump Tower," tens of millions supposedly intelligent and educated Americans show that they are gullible as little children, dumb as ****ing rocks, and there is no end to how strong their opinions are with regard to matters that they know nothing about.

I see stupid people, and they don't know they're stupid.

As I said, some Dims think keeping score on the totally predictable is important. 

image.jpg.27633ed8ba2d3c35277517602c2a30b7.jpg

And all of those papers, with the “exception” of USAT, endorsed Clinton for 2016. 

Republicans are very susceptible to propaganda,

but not in editorial pages since they don't read,

they listen to Rush on the Radio

they watch the opinion shapers on fox news,

and the true believers are addicted to Glenn Beck videos.