jim sylvester

big green egg help

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys

looking to make the investment, and I have a couple of options.  Family of four (wife, myself and 2 teenage boys)...entertain a lot.

I have choices of the following:

LARGE egg, with table and cover for 1,000.00  (new)

Medium egg, with nest and shelves  600.00  (new)

Large egg with nest and shelves  625.00 (new)

medium egg with nest and shelves  300.00 (used)

what would you guys go with?   Never had any experience with them...but want to make the correct investment.

thanks

Jim

1st thing the eggs are heavy and may crack if stored outside in the winter but they are good cookers an option would be to get a 26 inch Weber kettle combined with a Weber 22 inch smoker and that should handle most bbq tasks or get two 22 inch kettles instead of the 26 inch Weber .I bbq for 3daughters and three son in laws and I find with the 26 a 22 kettle and the 22 smoker it easier to do ribs ,chicken and hotdogs without everything tasting  the same

Edited by Surf bomber

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

1st thing the eggs are heavy and may crack if stored outside in the winter but they are good cookers an option would be to get a 26 inch Weber kettle combined with a Weber 22 inch smoker and that should handle most bbq tasks or get two 22 inch kettles instead of the 26 inch Weber .I bbq for 3daughters and three son in laws and I find with the 26 a 22 kettle and the 22 smoker it easier to do ribs ,chicken and hotdogs without everything tasting  the same

thanks

should have mentioned what I have

I am currently set up with a MHP propane and Weber performer

looking to add to the arsenal

I have had a large egg w nest for 3 yrs.  Same size family, plenty big for that.  As far as entertaining, I can get about 40 wings on there at once.  I have done some cooking for large groups (basketball team).  Usually an overnight smoke of a 10lb pork butt and then quick cooks of sausages, wings etc.  Love it, I am a 1/4 mile from the ocean in NC.  It sits uncovered on my patio year round w no issues. I just use a large fold up table that I have topped w bluestone.  I can lay hot cast iron on there for a bit  w no issue.  

On 12/15/2019 at 5:44 PM, Surf bomber said:

will not crack.  Firebox will crack every seven or eight years, you get the first one free from BGE

Large.  Fits just right.  One Large proper brisket

You will be 1300 by the time you get all the stuff.  If you are short on dough, skip for now the table and get the cooking goodies.  You can fake the table for now.

Get a plate setter.  Get the "eggspander rack stuff".  I just bought it, like it a LOT.  There is an aftermarket system, its cool too, but the concept of two levels is very cool.

Bite the bullet.  Ask Any egghead.  You really dont know yet how much you are going to like that thing.

Be old school.  Be OG.  Get the green egg.  DO NOT get the red one. (:laugh:)

On 12/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, savfish said:

They do sell racks that give you 2 level cooking but I have not used those. 

https://biggreenegg.com/the-eggspander-system/

Its pretty cool.  I really like the 2 level thing.  You have a low grate over fire, and high grate with a "Stone" under it-so indirect

@jim sylvester I also have an egg and a performer (1 weber smokey mountain for travel, camping).

Perfect combination.

Get the Large Egg and don't look back. I had an XL and found it to be overwhelmingly big.....it was difficult to fire it up for a quick cook as it is so dang big. I downsized to a Large and it is perfect. Yes, perhaps once I year I wish I had the XL but the other 99 times the Large is the perfect size. BGE customer service is second to none. Years ago I had cooked during the winter and it snowed that night. The snow melted on the warm Egg and turned into a layer of ice. I wanted to cook again the next day and tried chipping it off...a section of green glazing the size of a quarter came off. I called BGE to order a touchup kit and they said that the finish is guaranteed for life. A new top dome showed up a few days later, no questions asked.  The one thing that does suck is the stock Big Green Egg wood table. It is made of thin, flimsy wood, mine rotted even while covered and stored under a porch overhang and embers caused a few dozen burns on the tabletop that look like cigarette burns in carpet. I built this thing three months ago and had custom granite cut for it. Yeah, it was a cashectomy but it is a delight to cook on. No more ember burns, the entire surface can take any heat you throw at it, I make pizzas right next to the Egg and throw them in etc. You only live once. Get an Egg.

egg table.jpg

I did alot of research recently on these. I discounted the egg primarily for price. Kamado joe has great reviews and many options and a separate ceramic bowl insert to prevent cracking.   I actually just purchased the classic 2 at costco for just under a grand.   Have not used it yet but hope to break it in this weekend.

2 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I did alot of research recently on these. I discounted the egg primarily for price. Kamado joe has great reviews and many options and a separate ceramic bowl insert to prevent cracking.   I actually just purchased the classic 2 at costco for just under a grand.   Have not used it yet but hope to break it in this weekend.

Your not going to regret it. I'm contemplating selling my old first gen KJ and using those funds for a II or III.

Anyone who buys this style grill should do themselves a favor and get the Kick Ash Basket w/removable divider.  Best upgrade I've done to mine & no others come close!