Daylight

Fly Fisherman, do you use a trailer?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

With Multi Fly rigs, a tapered leader is employed where each section of leader is 1/2 length of heavier test section above it.  Sections are joined with a triple surgeons knot, and the tag end is left long enough to tie on the fly.  The largest and/or weighted fly is the fly on the end with each fly "up" the leader assembly being progressively less weight/bulk.

So a typical 3 fly leader would be 30lb butt of 4 ft, 20lb mid section of 2 ft, and 12 or 16lb tippet of 12 inches.  as an example, bottom fly would be a large Flatwing, Grocery-style Deciever (as a Herring, Mackeral or Bunker), Clouser or Half and Half, or possibly a mullet pattern a-la Popovics Siliclone or Murphy Back Bay Bomber, all tied on a 4/0 thru 2/0 hook.  The mid fly might be a Ray's Fly, Abrames General Practicioner Shrimp or Blonde Fly tied on a 1/0 thru #2 hook.  Finally, the top Fly could be a cinder worm, bunny fly or Isopod fly, all of which should be tied on a #1 thru #4 hook.

For throwing artificals, I use the rig pictured - the most important characteristic is that the distance from the teaser dropper loop to the lure snap is 4 1/2 ft. Note that this rig must be cast with a "bottom hand pull" cast to load the rod properly with this long of a rig drop.

1002181809.jpg

I normally use a very small (size 4 or 6) clouser for my rear fly.  Front fly is either a large subsurface fly or a popper.  Last year in the spring while we were really into black sea bass in 20' of water (conventional gear) I rigged up a fly rod with a full sinking line and clouser with a tail section from a Gulp twistie.  Let it  sink and slowly retrieved it.  Caught several BSB.  Pretty fun....  I don't think that rig would last very long if the cast was anything more than a false cast and chuck the line.

Edited by qecfly

I’ve used some plastics with fly gear in the past, in my younger days, but if I’m going to use them now, it will be with other tackle besides fly gear. 

I also rarely have used more than a single fly at a time. Most places that I fly fished, I never felt using more than one fly was any advantage. 

The exception was a streamer or teaser combined with a large popper. That’s a rig that can be used for multiple species in freshwater or salt. 

the actual concept behind the multi fly rig is to let the fish tell u what size (most importantly) bait they are honed in on.  The idea is that after a couple of fish hit the same fly in the rig, the other flyes are removed or rigged to a non-dropper leader/tippet assembly. of course what might have been my largest bass hit the bottom flatwing of a 2 fly rig on day when they were over the bar.  Then a Bluefish (had no idea they were in the mix), came thru and hit the ray's fly rigged above, cutting off both fish.  I often wonder how long that bass and blue did the waltz out there before the blue chewed off the fly.  probably one pissed off bass by then.