wiretap

Amount of Guides on a Rod? Rule of thumb?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

It seems I have a new question everyday.
Google doesn't help me much, and I have gone through and read a lot of the forum posts but I am still confused.

How many guides should go on a 12+ surf rod? 

How many guides should go on a 12+ lighter rod?
I see posts with 4-5 guides are more than enough, then all my store bought rods are 10+ guides. 

Is there a rule of thumb? 

12 foot rod with five guides suggests old school cone of flight lay out.

No hard and fast rule. It will depend on reel handle length and action of the blank and preferred guide lay out. Approx between 8 and ten for NGC. For spin reels. Conventional similar. Excludes tip top.

mike

9-11 guides plus the tip would work for a 12’ rod; u will have to see your height and the reel you are using; that may move a layout a little; the most important guides are your first 5 to optimize casting distance and u can have additional 4-6 running guides.

I recently built a heavy spinner for bait fishing the OBX.  Rod was a rodgeeks 12' 6-16oz and built to use MONOFILAMENT.  I feel this is worth mentioning because It greatly affected the layout, reduction train, and number of guides.  I pushed the stripper (KW40) pretty far out @ 40" then followed with KW30-25-20-12-12-12 tip- 7 guides total plus tip.   Had this been built for braid, the entire train would be pushed back 8-10''.  This would also eliminate that giant stripper guide and increase the amount of runners by atleast 2.  The point is that there is a common formula you will see over and over assuming your using Fuji K Guides and braid.  

if spinning setup, most important thing is to understand the ngc concepts. if you look on the anglers resource you will see plenty of info on the ngc layout. you have the reduction guides and the running guides. once you understand that and the idea of the choke guide you will be able to determine how many guides you need. using set number based on rod length will work sometimes but is limiting, the characteristic of the blank do matter.

I agree on no hard rule on numbers... 

It really depending on the blank, rod type but many experts here can help narrowing the range, and you can finalize it by testing and adjusting to your liking.

Start by asking around, read some build guide, GPS and whatever else, pick one you prefer then go through series of static bend / test casts to add/remove/reposition is what seem to be working all the time.

Experience should make a short work of many of these processes but for most of us will end of building a limited number of rods for self anyhow.

That's what makes the process fun and forum like this a great place as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been asked this same question 8 times in the past 24 hours either on the phone or in an email. 15 minutes to read, study and learn Static Loading will end the misery for life.

Edited by Croaker JO