NattyBoh74

Looking to start tying few jigs... need help on bobbin, thread, hair etc.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

hello,

Im going to start trying to tie my own jigs. I have the jigs already, bought some powder but Im stuck on a few things.. This is what I need and Im looking for suggestions as such:

1. what kind of bobbin to I need for .5oz-1oz jigs?

2. what about type of thread to use?

3. whats the best hair? Deer Id assume/bucktails.

4. looking to add some flash, suggestions?

5. what to use for parachutes?

Id prefer to get this all at one place to eliminate multiple shipping charges.

Thanks!

I use the Dr. Slick bobbin off saltwater edge along with the hareline large northern bucktails, the krystal flash and 210 Denier thread (140 denier if the collars aren’t super accommodating on 1/2oz and under). Everything you need can be ordered on the Saltwater Edge. 

As for a vice, I basically use a table vise for small teasers up to 3oz bucktails and it suits any sized hook I need to use.

I typically brush between clumps of hair with glue and coat with either a very thin coating of devcon 2 ton epoxy or 3 layers of Sally Hansen’s hard as nails. I prefer the hard as nails just because it’s easier and gives a decent enough finish on them.

Can’t help you out on the parachutes, never tied one.

774D2651-2553-49CF-B150-93EFF4A3A15B.jpeg

029CF884-25AE-4317-96CB-1E9AFDB4C8EA.jpeg

Edited by TimS
link removed

2 mins ago, ASrod said:

I use the Dr. Slick bobbin off saltwater edge along with the hareline large northern bucktails, the krystal flash and 210 Denier thread (140 denier if the collars aren’t super accommodating on 1/2oz and under). Everything you need can be ordered on the Saltwater Edge.

As for a vice, I basically use a table vise for small teasers up to 3oz bucktails and it suits any sized hook I need to use.

I typically brush between clumps of hair with glue and coat with either a very thin coating of devcon 2 ton epoxy or 3 layers of Sally Hansen’s hard as nails. I prefer the hard as nails just because it’s easier and gives a decent enough finish on them.

Can’t help you out on the parachutes, never tied one.

774D2651-2553-49CF-B150-93EFF4A3A15B.jpeg

What about size of bobbin? I dont get it, I mean makes obvious sense, but I dont know what to buy for larger jigs... same goes for thread size, is there an average size I cna use for all my jigs?

4 mins ago, NattyBoh74 said:

hello,

Im going to start trying to tie my own jigs. I have the jigs already, bought some powder but Im stuck on a few things.. This is what I need and Im looking for suggestions as such:

1. what kind of bobbin to I need for .5oz-1oz jigs?

2. what about type of thread to use?

3. whats the best hair? Deer Id assume/bucktails.

4. looking to add some flash, suggestions?

5. what to use for parachutes?

Id prefer to get this all at one place to eliminate multiple shipping charges.

Thanks!

Depending on your allowance here, I’ll give my suggestions. Any type of fly tying bobbin will work fine, I’d suggest spending a couple extra bucks on a ceramic tube bobbin—other than that, the rest is pretty based on appearance and how it feels in your hand/at the vise, kind of hard if you’re gonna shop online. 

I always use mono thread .005-.004 in size, that way color doesn’t matter and I literally have to worry about one single item that stays the same. I’ve recently been buying it from fabric stores and Walmart and spooling it myself, it’s hardly different. 

For hair, definitely pick up a few different bucktails, another thing that would help to see in person as all natural materials vary in characteristics. As for flash, it’s whatever you think looks good. I personally like saltwater angel hair, but flashabou and Krystal flash has a place as well.

I only tie flies but I’d be willing to bet parachutes are made from things like unique/supreme hair. 

Check out any fly tying site for the supplies you’ll need. Bobbins range in price from a couple of bucks to $50 or more for a high quality one. I’ll suggest you get one with a large diameter, extra long ceramic tube. The larger diameter tube  allows you to use the largest size threads easily. The extra length tube gives you plenty of reach when wrapping the largest jig heads and a ceramic one is more durable and  wear resistant. You can use almost anything for thread but I prefer the stuff which is actually produced for the fly tying industry. Kevlar thread is pricey but it’s plenty strong for making large jigs and you’ll have a hard time breaking it even when cinching down hard to make the hair flair. Flat waxed nylon is also excellent for jigs and I’ve also used polyester “carpet, upholstery and button” thread which is available at any sewing supply retailer. Walmart carries it in their stores but those spools can be large so you’ll need a bobbin which can accommodate large spools. If your budget allows, get an actual fly tying vise. One with a rotary head gives you 360 degree access to the jig you’re tying. Prices are all over the map for vises but there are some good bargains out there. You can look for a used one too.  At a minimum, get a pair of needle nosed vise grips and clamp those in a larger bench vise to do your work. It’ll get it done but it’s not an ideal setup. 

Sally Hansons “Hard as Nails” works great as a thread finish. Cheap, durable and widely available. ‘Nuff said about that.

others have covered bucktails so I won’t elaborate on that.  For parachute jigs, you’ll need to find “fishhair” or other synthetic bucktail material. It comes in large bundles and is available in many colors. White, yellow and something darker like navy or black are all you’ll really need. Have fun learning. It’s a great, satisfying feeling to catch a fish on a lure you made with your own hands. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Bigfootgrey said:

Previous posters have covered everything to know. I ordered most everything from Terminal Tackle ☹️   Local B & T shops might have what you need.  Have fun! 

8E4FED26-CE5C-4E09-9F54-ECFFBFAC43D1.jpeg

BA0958FE-CA2F-466E-8CCA-BD467EF9CD40.jpeg

Do you use natural hair or Faux hair? What do you coat the heads in once completed? Like what kind of clear coat?

I use natural hair and coat the winding with head cement. To powder paint ,I heat the jig slightly with a propane torch. Then dip it in the powder. The jigs then need to be heated in a toaster oven for about 25 mins to harden to paint so it won’t chip off so easily. The finish you see is just paint. No clear coat. 

19 hours ago, Bigfootgrey said:

I use natural hair and coat the winding with head cement. To powder paint ,I heat the jig slightly with a propane torch. Then dip it in the powder. The jigs then need to be heated in a toaster oven for about 25 mins to harden to paint so it won’t chip off so easily. The finish you see is just paint. No clear coat. 

Thanks that was my plan for the clear... But should I coat the heads too after I apply the eyes?

Cheap vise will do. Tying bucktails is not finicky work.  But the jaws do need to accommodate much thicker hooks that when you're trying #16 Adams!  Yeah...you can use visegrips that are themselves clamped down to a table.  You will probably only be trying a couple of dozen for a season...so it's not like you're going into the fly tying business.

Thread...I like the Ultra Thread 280. It's tremendously strong stuff... but a bit pricey.  You can use rod wrapping thread...used for building rods...if you can find it.  Ceramic tips on the bobbins are really worth it. Get some good scissors made for tying flies and don't use them for other junk.  Lastly ..a "hair stacker" can be really useful... and you'll use it if you tie flies too.  

I use Krystal Flash on bucktails.....I like that it's rather "fine grained-. Flashibou can be a bit coarse....like huge Christmas tree tinsel.

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is the preferred head cement.

I like to sharpen the hooks razor sharp and coat the newly-filed surface with black sharpie marker.

Oh.. I really like Saltwater Flies as a source.  I've used Bears Den too...but I really like Chris Windram at SF...he is very personable and helpful..and he has a huge inventory with really great honest descriptions of all the materials...and a VAST assortment of hooks.

Edited by blackdogfish