ibrahimdaas

Surf Rod recommendations ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I am looking for a Surf rod that has the same toughness and durability as  Shakespeare Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning rod, which must have 3 pieces and 15+ feet length ? 

I used to have a 15 feet Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning rod of the 2 pieces type, but I sold it since I can not load it easily into my small car, I used the rod to catch Large and strong Barracudas and Spanish Mackerels and cast easily 7 Once sinker with bait.

Recently I bought Daiwa Tournament Surf Rod 16' Fixed Spool 3-6Oz but honestly, I don't think I can use it for this kind of strong fishing that includes a good amount of fighting.

so any suggestings?

Try to find a blank that has the length your looking for when cut into 3 pieces and wrap it.also,ugly stick surf rods seem to be a little softer given equal specs to other surf rods

I know it has been 4 months since question was posted, just wondering did you get any rod?

Recently, I got myself a 13' Fiblink, 2 pcs, rated 4-8oz and I am very happy with it.

Cating bait and waight is all still new to me; heaviest I cast before was 8' rod with  2oz sinker and  clams or 11' with 2oz diamond jig.

So far, I love this rod. After few evenings practicing, my cast distance drastically improved, from around 70' to almost 120'; my longest cast was 117'. I am hoping with continuing practice to reach 150'. I am casting 5 and 6 oz sinkers only; I know it will be a different game as soon as I add bait to the end of line.

Fiblink also makes 15ft, 4 pcs, rated same, 4-8oz.

So, if you are still looking for a new rod, you may want to try this one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/15/2019 at 0:04 PM, ibrahimdaas said:

Hi Guys

I am looking for a Surf rod that has the same toughness and durability as  Shakespeare Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning rod, which must have 3 pieces and 15+ feet length ? 

I used to have a 15 feet Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning rod of the 2 pieces type, but I sold it since I can not load it easily into my small car, I used the rod to catch Large and strong Barracudas and Spanish Mackerels and cast easily 7 Once sinker with bait.

Recently I bought Daiwa Tournament Surf Rod 16' Fixed Spool 3-6Oz but honestly, I don't think I can use it for this kind of strong fishing that includes a good amount of fighting.

so any suggestings?

Only 3 piece you should consider is a Daiwa Ballistic 35-405 or 40-405.  I would but the blank and have it built for you.  In my opinion the factory reel seat location is set too low for that rod, but I am 6'3" and need the bottom of my reel seat at 35" from the butt of the rod.  These rods are not cheap but they are worth it.

Edited by animalbarrie

On 3/22/2020 at 6:21 PM, Popasilov said:

I know it has been 4 months since question was posted, just wondering did you get any rod?

Recently, I got myself a 13' Fiblink, 2 pcs, rated 4-8oz and I am very happy with it.

Cating bait and waight is all still new to me; heaviest I cast before was 8' rod with  2oz sinker and  clams or 11' with 2oz diamond jig.

So far, I love this rod. After few evenings practicing, my cast distance drastically improved, from around 70' to almost 120'; my longest cast was 117'. I am hoping with continuing practice to reach 150'. I am casting 5 and 6 oz sinkers only; I know it will be a different game as soon as I add bait to the end of line.

Fiblink also makes 15ft, 4 pcs, rated same, 4-8oz.

So, if you are still looking for a new rod, you may want to try this one.

+2 on the Fiblink. I bought a 10’ and 12’ 4 piece for a trip last year and am pleased with both. They were so cheap I figured that if they only got me through one trip that was good enough.

Look at Red Drum tackle in Buxton NC they build on Ballastic blanks, I almost ordered a 13 foot  3pc  ,but decided to cancel when I realized a 13 ft rod might be a little too much for my 71yr old body. Their customs are cheaper then the factory blanks and made with better componets. They are running a sale