Little

Richard Jewell

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Pretty good, go see it.  Slight spoiler alert (we all know how it ended)

Ive been waiting for a while for this one.  I was living and working in Atlanta during the 96 Olympics, and I was right across the street from the Park when the bomb went off.

Whatever liberties Eastwood took to tell the tale is one thing.  Its a movie.  But he did throw a LOT of references to Atlanta life/culture back then for us locals.

96 Rock sticker on Jewells's truck.  Better, he had an Album 88 sticker on Bryant's car (Jewells first lawyer).

And my daughter in law was working costume for most of the shoot!!

Ok real stuff.

Watson Bryant was the lawyer Jewell initially called, its the only lawyer Jewell knew.  Bryant called in Barry Linn (bigshot) early.  Bryant just did real estate closings in Dunwoody.  Bryant knew better and had little more to do with the case than fetching coffee.

I was right across the street from the westside entrance to the Park.  I had finished my gig and was parked in that lot.  the very small-20 cars lot was cordoned for a production company.  They had video projectors on platform lifts shooting video ads on billboards, and a buddy of mine was babysitting that site.  So I stopped to chat with him, we were sitting in a scissor lift that he had stuck an old basement couch in, we were ten feet off the ground.  we hear a POP.  I thought is was a "burp" in the PA, but Stan R said that was a bomb! "I was in the Navy 15 years, that was an explosive."

The band stopped playing and I thought it might be a bomb.  We couldnt see down the the At a T stage, but we could see people flowing up out of the back of the field to the gate.

We saw the cops BLOCK the main entrance (it was about 100 feet across) with their cars, and the people starting to smash against the cars, they moved them just in time (another little flaw in the film, all their shots portrayed the crowd at the stage ti be a few thousand.  It was 20k plus every night, and there was another several thousand in the park), we thought there was going to be a stampede and crush, really scary.  After about an hour the park was cleared out.  We had already shut the gear down.  Some guys From the GBI came and told us that they were pulling a van in there and we needed to move cars.  We split I went home.

The Bomb went off right in front of whats called Front of House.  Thats the scaffold building where sound lighting video spots are housed.  Jewell had been there a few days working, and the crew knew of him (Nocturne Productions.  They have since been broken up and re branded three or four times).  I never met those guys or worked with them (the Nocturne crew ALL left Atlanta after that night and were replaced), but the story from them later on was that they were unanimous saying there was no way in hell he did it.  

After it all settled down and Jewell got his due-he won suits against CNN, Atlanta Journal, and others-The tale WE heard was that the FBI people were second guessed and micro managed by the Head Honcho Louie Freeh.  Movie didnt delve into that.

Sentiment in Atl at the time was no WAY he did it.  We were right.

My favorite tip of the hat in the movie.  Noturne had as an audio console out at Front of House a Yamaha PM 4000.  It was a standard back then, they were everywhere.  When the bomb detonated, a few chuns of shrapnel went slicing into the console.  The FBI took the desk as evidence.  BUT, the console KEPT WORKING, even with bomb fragments.  Would have made a helluva Yamaha commercial!

But the movie crew found an old PM 4000 and it was on the set.  Cracked me up.

I was at the At and T stage the day the park reopened.  Long story short, after we were done with an early AM video shoot, the stage manager talked me into staying for the night to stage manage.  He gave me twice what I expected, paid me half up front to make sure I would return.  All I had to do was lead four dancers on and off stage and deal with their stinky ass costumes.  That guy was from Boston and we are close friends to this day.

It was Carlos Santana onstage that night.

The 1996 Olympics in Atlanta was an interesting time.

Edited by Little

18 hours ago, Gloucester2 said:

It only made $5 million opening weekend   :banghd:

Ive talked to many people over the years that dont even remember it happening.

Unless you have some sort of personal connection, I never really understood watching a movie that you already know the story. I think that’s this movies issue. 

History movies are about the people not the story. I had no clue who Richard Jewell was before reading about this movie, I think that's the issue. I'll download it in a couple months.

how old are you, were you really young or not born in '96? I feel like he was pretty well covered then and, if i remember, sometime around '07 it became a story again (maybe when he died).

i get it....6 years old is way too young to remember it in detail...

in another thread on this movie i aske "why now" i just didn't see it drawing people in...its not the anniversary, no main character died....people who know the story, already know the story...….just seemed to come out of left field. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

41 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

i get it....6 years old is way too young to remember it in detail...

in another thread on this movie i aske "why now" i just didn't see it drawing people in...its not the anniversary, no main character died....people who know the story, already know the story...….just seemed to come out of left field. 

Haven't seen the movie but from what I've read it paints the media in a really bad light. Media outlets have complained about how Clint isn't being fair to them.  Lol. 

Maybe comparing the media then to today's media. How they are both toxic. 

Just a thought.