Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I’m driving from NJEA to NC for Xmas but on the way home I have about 4 days to stop along the way and fish! Any refs for NC, VA or DE? I’m hoping to find some stripers who headed south!

Was going to suggest Buckroe beach pier but apparently they are having problems...maybe someone else will chime in. What part of N.C.? With four days maybe you can head down to obx there's plenty to do there.

If you can get to Kitty Hawk / Nags Head there is a bait and tackle shop called TW's...their website has the latest info...daily reports. The piers will most likely be closed this time of year.. Some stretches of north beaches are drivable off season...if it's striper action you are looking for your best bet is the northern beaches or the causeway over to Manteo...and lastly Oregon Inlet. If red drum...you can't beat the beaches at Avon and Buxton but that's a bit of a drive further south. No 4WD to fish The Point?...simply park at the north parking lot near the Lighthouse in Buxton and walk over to the jetty where the Lighthouse used to stand ...then walk the beach either north or south of the jetty to see whats biting. Last resort would be ramp 55 in the village of Hatteras...theres a walk over there as well....you can usually find calmer water there if the surf is churned up...but that's a bit further south. This time of year the bait situation is iffy. Even if the fish aren't around the Outer Banks is a great place for surf fishermen to explore and make future plans. 

20191126_070142.jpg

20191126_105922.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

16 hours ago, ChileIrish said:

Dixiekraut, thanks very much!!

No sweat. If you can't make it to the Outer Banks on your time off but want to hit a barrier island on the drive back you might give Assateague Island a shot on the DelMarVa peninsula...the southern portion of the island is Virginia and the town of Chincoteague has access to the National Park beach there...only caveat is that the spring fishing has been more reliable than the fall. Captain Steve's bait and tackle on the way to the park is the go to spot for latest info, ask for Jimmy, Pete or their dad Tom. They might have fresh bait but usually this late in the year its iffy. The northern portion of Assateague is Maryland and there is a National Park there as well...on the way to the MD side of the  island there is a general store and restaurant called Bucks that sells rigs and sinkers but this time of year fresh bait is almost impossible to come by. Lastly there is Ocean City Maryland...and the beaches up in Delaware...namely Fenwick, Bethany and Rehobeth. If striper action is what you are looking for the Indian River Inlet near Rehobeth is prime territory but dont fish those jetties without proper gear...that spot has been known to have a few drowning casualties every year. The inlet is very deep and the tidal currents very strong in and out of there. I fished a high incoming tide there in the dark years ago and it scared the **** out of me...not for newbies or the faint of heart!

Edited by dixiekraut