First Atlantic, now Pacific cod

Rate this topic

bob_G

I hope Alaska is being proactive in closing their Pacific cod season for 2020.  

You have to wonder, is this due to over fishing, or climate change? If  the latter, it might be tough to bring this fishery back.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

I hope Alaska is being proactive in closing their Pacific cod season for 2020.  

You have to wonder, is this due to over fishing, or climate change? If  the latter, it might be tough to bring this fishery back.

Whats the background story??????????????

12 mins ago, b-ware said:

You are saying the Pacific Cod stocks are in trouble, just wondering if this is hearsay info or are there facts to support this?

Definitely not hearsay.

Very similar to NE striped bass.  As it stands, the Pacific cod stocks are not producing enough spawn to sustain itself.  Hence the concern from the fishery folks.  Warmer water brought on by climate change is being blamed.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

After watching the Deadliest Catch all these years, it's tough not to notice all those guys are baiting their crab traps with fresh 10lb cod. I guess that practice will be changing.

I have noticed this as well. I wonder what the status is on the Pacific Pollock stock as well. I am sure those factory boats do their fair share of damage as well.

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

After watching the Deadliest Catch all these years, it's tough not to notice all those guys are baiting their crab traps with fresh 10lb cod. I guess that practice will be changing.

maybe they will switch to seal meat from mass.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

It goes with out saying that if the commercial crab fleet has been allowed to catch these cod fish just for bait as is shown on most of the production shows as Bob posted, one would wonder how bad can this fishery really be up there. I would have loved to been able to fish for them with a rod and reel and they get to fish for them with deep water traps just so they can bait the crab traps . I saw one show where they just showed how they caught great numbers of cod and it was amazing to see the size of these fish and for me disrespected by only using them for bait. The shows are great on the other hand , but one does need to wonder how long they can allow such a practice to continue and not have some affect on the cod fish ?

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

7 mins ago, alpha baiter said:

Cod have been around 10 million years. Have survived ice ages. Recent weather probably isn't the culprit. Advanced electronics, faster boats, better more efficient gear, and millions of dollars paid to land them will put a hurt on them.    

Google the NPR link. According to the Alaskan fishery people, the adult fish are no longer spawning, and the juvenile fush are dying off.

No doubt the collapsing Atlantic cod fishery has placed more pressure on it's Pacific counterpart. I think the Alaskan folks are being proactive.

The Sultan of Sluggo