makorider

Q on new Macbook air

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

What is the difference between a 5th generation intel i5 and an 8th generation i5?  Any discernible difference?

Best buy has the macbook with the 5th gen for $699, Apple store has the 8th for $1099

I'm betting that its not worth the extra $400?

Tell me if I'm wrong

9 hours ago, makorider said:

What is the difference between a 5th generation intel i5 and an 8th generation i5?  Any discernible difference?

Best buy has the macbook with the 5th gen for $699, Apple store has the 8th for $1099

Tell me if I'm wrong

knowing Apple, they're probably about to discontinue OS updates for the Gen 5 next month... 

i was curious when i saw the question too. i remember when apple used to do a half decent job educating consumers about stuff like this, so i belmo'ed it.

seems like speed, heat, efficiency and minor system capabilities, which all might mean something for battery life/consumption. probably not very noticeable at all for basic everyday use, unless your pushing the capabilities of the machine regularly.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-5th-gen-and-8th-gen-processor

12 hours ago, makorider said:

Tell me if I'm wrong

It really depends on how yo will use the computer. if you are going to be doing anything processor intensive. editing videos and such. go with the newer one it will pay off. if just using it for web browsing, email and such you should be fine with the older processor.