Mr. Sophistication

Recommendation for 2000-3000 sized spinner

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I'm looking to replace my Battle 2000. At the time I went cheap because this was a niche sized reel for me. However, I find myself preferring this light setup when targeting speckled seatrout. Not looking to break the bank. Budget of around $150. Will most likely try to pick up something discounted on the big auction site.

I was thinking about getting another Clash but I've owned a few 4000s and the gears seem to be the weak point. I just serviced my two 4000s and the gears in both feel really rough after about a year of ownership.

What do you guys recommend?

Pretty hard to beat a 3000 stradic fk.....you can find em now for 150 as they are the old model.  Plenty of drag Shimano smooth, light....daiwa bg is right in that price point too the 2500 would probably do the trick...the 20 pounds of drag on the stradic is helpful.  My 2 cents..

10 hours ago, Mr. Sophistication said:

I'm looking to replace my Battle 2000. At the time I went cheap because this was a niche sized reel for me. However, I find myself preferring this light setup when targeting speckled seatrout. Not looking to break the bank. Budget of around $150. Will most likely try to pick up something discounted on the big auction site.

I was thinking about getting another Clash but I've owned a few 4000s and the gears seem to be the weak point. I just serviced my two 4000s and the gears in both feel really rough after about a year of ownership.

The USA made Slammer 260 or 360 is a great reel and can be had for $80 +/_

The Clash gears can develop that rougher feeling, I have a bunch of Clashes myself, but the overall integrity of the reel is not compromised and neither is the gearing.

I actual prefer them over my smoother Stradics in most cases, because even though the Stradics are smoother, the Clashes are stronger over the long haul.

I still use the Stradics in situations were I want a lot of smoothness such as finesse jigging where absolute sensitivity is important. If that is what you want, a Stradic 2500 or 3000 would be a good option.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Never owned a Stradic FK only the FJs. I'll check it out.

I agree, the integrity of my Clash 4000s has not been compromised but I am bothered by the roughness...... Aside from that, I really like those reels. They are good looking, lay braid really well, not much play. I looked into doing a gear swap but the cost is prohibitive.

Tsunami Evict 3K... comes in at $149, has stainless gearing and a carbon drag. I fished a pair hard this season and was very impressed. Had bass to around 35lbs this summer and blackfish  upto 9.5lbs this fall. A lot of reel for the money. Plus the design is simple enough that it’s very easy to tear down for a clean&lube22D436EB-0A34-4330-8FE2-63AC0F4EA592.jpeg.48233c6f5bab06bfa497d5050f35927b.jpeg

Spinfisher 2500

Edit: Just realized the weight issues. Scooby has said great things about the Spheros. 

Edited by coastalfreak

13 hours ago, Mr. Sophistication said:

for $150

i would buy BG-300,light and good reel $75,i would pick 2 that is $150 total