Bluetaildragger

Cube Style Plug Bags

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

SOL,

Looking into lightening up my load and getting a plug bag to attach directly to my belt and ditch the over the shoulder bag.  I am looking for opinions on whether a four tube bag such as the flatlander cube is too bulky to attach only on the belt.  

What kind of bag do you guys find best for a belt set up?

Edited by Bluetaildragger

The Flatlander cube isn’t bad on just the belt but if you have it loaded up with a lot of heavy plugs you can use a shoulder strap while having it on your belt to lighten it up a little bit... I use mine without a strap and just on the belt and it’s fine 

I personally like a belt bag to sit up against me as close as possible... single row. 

The further away a bag sits, like a cube, the more weight is going to pull the bag downward and away from your lower back. The end result, even though you may not notice it, is your body tensing up your torso and leaning forward to correct and find center.  

Long story short: Loaded cube on your belt = sore lower back over time. 

I've been trying to learn to travel lighter. I got a flatlander back bay bag this year which I used exclusively. Granted, I didn't carry any big wood with me at all this year, but if I want to bring a few big plugs I have the side tubes for that. Fully loaded up my back bay bag is still light enough to comfortably carry on my belt without a shoulder strap. If I load up my 3 tube flatlander then that needs a strap.

In my opinion a shoulder worn surf bag should transfer most of it's weight to the surf belt which carries the weight on your hips, not shoulder (the same as a load bearing backpack) The only time all the weight is on the shoulder is when the bag is swung around to be opened for a new plug selection. That is one of the principal reasons the " bag to belt" connector was designed in the first place. I personally did not like a belt carry bag for a multitude of reasons but realize not everyone fishes in a similar manner or prioritizes needs in the same way. Only you will be able to decide what system or method works best for you.

Edited by SC

I also fish with bags connected with belt and shoulder strap. With a bag just attached to your belt you gotta swivel your torso around which can get kinda bad if your fishing a spot with big swell. When its clipped to your belt you can unclip and pull it infront of you

Thanks for the info.  I'm gathering that the tubes on the FL are much bigger than I'm used to, and I think a two tuber with smaller custom tubes is looking most ideal.  I currently use a single row bag that can carry a good bit of gear and I usually don't use even half of it.  Going to really lighten it up since I like to walk.  Keep the recommendations coming!

Check out the F.L. back bay bag, just make sure the height of the bag is tall enough for you.

I haven't used a shoulder bag in about 10yrs....i also don't over load my bag with unnecessary things i wont use, i know what i need where I'm fishing at the time...

I just slide the  bag to the front quarter of my hip, slide back to rear when done, no "swiveling torso" involved.

10 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I've been trying to learn to travel lighter. I got a flatlander back bay bag this year which I used exclusively. Granted, I didn't carry any big wood with me at all this year, but if I want to bring a few big plugs I have the side tubes for that. Fully loaded up my back bay bag is still light enough to comfortably carry on my belt without a shoulder strap. If I load up my 3 tube flatlander then that needs a strap.

Do you have dimensions of the back bay by any chance?

The back bay is a great bag, my favorite. But, it's also a bit of a niche bag. It's not as tall as a 'std' bag. So you are a little limited on what you carry but it's also not meant for being used as a 'std' size bag. It would probably be comfortable on a belt.

Flatlander, model I can't recall, riding on web belt with tools, etc. In Florida we don't really wade on the beaches, though I do wet wade in the inshore water. I don't like wearing a backpack in our heat so put all lures and tools on the below. The spare rod holder shown can be attached in 10 seconds to the rear of the bag. Like a cop's duty belt (this is actually a duty belt), the belt sits on your hips very comfortably. 

FWIW, I bought the Flatlander bag used from another SOL member and took out the stock tubes. I used to cut down water bottles to hold the plugs. All of those soft plastics fit in the smaller front compartment that is meant for rind bottles. If I ever get the spare change, I might try to work with Jamie on a different design more conducive to holding 3-4 Plano boxes vertically. Actually, having just looked, the new Back Bay might serve my needs. 

IMG_8995.JPG.3d2c521a51ed441d476afac01e4d294c.JPG