daytripper

Tranx 200

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I use a Tranx 300 for fluking. Don’t think there is a better reel for fluking. Don’t see why a 200 wouldn’t be just as good. Simply a pleasure to fish with.

Bigfootgrey's post reminded me...consider the high speed 300 (instead of the 200) because it comes with the power handle.  I added the power handle from the Tranx 500 to my 300 - very nice but cost me an extra $40. The power knobs are a bit more ergonomic for fluking IMO.

It needs a lot of maintenance to keep going in the salt. If you are good at taking reels apart and get the salt water drips out and basic lubrication?  Great!  If you need to Send em out it will get expensive. 

Love mine have the 301 HG. Would suggest going high gear as you can always reel slower and the factory handle is nice. As for maintenance it’s on the same schedule as my Calcutta’s. I fish it strictly from boat in saltwater and haven’t had any issues. I’ve used the reel from fluking And bottom fishing to stripers up to 45”. Sweet reel will probably replace my Calcutta’s with them. 

20 mins ago, The Riddler said:

It needs a lot of maintenance to keep going in the salt. If you are good at taking reels apart and get the salt water drips out and basic lubrication?  Great!  If you need to Send em out it will get expensive. 

$35 for full service.  If you use the reel hard, probably needs to be done every couple of years YMMV.

It all depends on who uses it and how much.  I take care of my own gear. I would like to see more owners open up and show us what maintenance  on a low profile reel looks like every couple of years.

Here is what a Tranx looks like neglected.  Doesn't look like it has salt water approved materials to me.  The best way to combat this is regularly open it up.  If its once every couple of years it could get expensive to replace parts. 

257A410D-EE5B-4843-815A-B1CAF6E3D537.jpeg

Thanks for response guys,thinking TRX200AXG, 8.5.1Gear ratio, 36 Inch per crank,and add a power handle,will mostly be for bay on a light rod,maybe get away in deep water on certain days,other wise use my Ambassadors,going to check them out this week,thanks again DT

8 mins ago, daytripper said:

Thanks for response guys,thinking TRX200AXG, 8.5.1Gear ratio, 36 Inch per crank,and add a power handle,will mostly be for bay on a light rod,maybe get away in deep water on certain days,other wise use my Ambassadors,going to check them out this week,thanks again DT

I'd say the 7.2:1 is a happy medium...you'll never complain about it being slow, but the reel will stay smooth longer. Esp if you're winding heavy bucktails all day fluking. 

19 hours ago, The Riddler said:

It all depends on who uses it and how much.  I take care of my own gear. I would like to see more owners open up and show us what maintenance  on a low profile reel looks like every couple of years.

Here is what a Tranx looks like neglected.  Doesn't look like it has salt water approved materials to me.  The best way to combat this is regularly open it up.  If its once every couple of years it could get expensive to replace parts. 

257A410D-EE5B-4843-815A-B1CAF6E3D537.jpeg

thats a mess.... kayak?

10 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

thats a mess.... kayak?

Not sure. Drips off your hand will settle on the side plate and have that corrosion.  The ARB in the photo from Shimano always gets corroded as well. Thats what happens when you do not put a coat of grease on these low profile reels. Drips from your hand will find its way down and settle.  Kayak, shore, boat, does not matter. Helps to have some grease on the outside housing on the ARB for easier removal. This is noted by Alan Tani in his valuable online  tutorials.  Shimano will not do this. Tranx, curado, calcutta, and more all use that unreliable ARB.  And it can be a pain in the ass to knock out.  10mm sock with a hammer is what I have used and once ruined a side plate it was so seized. 

Edited by The Riddler