codfish

Scary stuff

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Looks like the napa battery  corrosion spray .it Comes out red . But that's clearly a bus bar either all negs or postives . The connectors are standard non marine or heat shrink grade and looks like someone  replaced them recently and they failed at the connection  They tried to clean up the bar recently. But didnt touch the bigger wires .half ass work imo. Plus no lock washer or nylon lock nuts. The wires in the corner folded over and over then zip tie will give break point in the wire especially  in the marine world.  I have seen many rigging  harness damaged this way. 

 

Common to have bus bars on boats better to add these to join two wires  or more together then to crimp or soldier.

Edited by 757saltwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Could that nut be red hot for some reason?  Is it a negative or positive bus bar? Looks terrible!

I'm no expert but I did all the wiring on my boat......wires for positive side I used red, negative side black.....used heat shrink on all connections to the bus bars and covers that snap over for more protection.

normal_007~0.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, 757saltwater said:

Looks like the napa battery  corrosion spray .it Comes out red .

yep.That's it. I've seen worse wiring jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so sure it’s paint, looks like it’s lit and the tape and insulation above are frying. Codfish, is it hot or cold? If the former you’ve got a short somewhere, disconnect the battery til you find it. If cold, likely paint. Get Rmarsh to help you, he does nice work!

Edited by Good2Go
Adding info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Not so sure it’s paint, looks like it’s lit and the tape and insulation above are frying. Codfish, is it hot or cold? If the former you’ve got a short somewhere, disconnect the battery til you find it. If cold, likely paint. Get Rmarsh to help you, he does nice work!

That was my thought.  Insulation/wrap definitely looks fried

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disimmilar metals also has to do with it.   Nickel plated steel also has a copper base layer.  Better than stainless steel.   You can also purchase copper fasteners as well.

 

It's not the starter cooking it...…  It's the alternator.  Current coupled with time causes the corrosion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.