Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoOver

Pepacton To Be Drained

23 posts in this topic

New York City drinking water reservoir on the East Branch of Delaware River, The Pepacton,  is set to be drained down to 20% so contractors can change a valve on the outlet tube.

So there is that.

11 mins ago, BrianBM said:

No.  I know about it from reading.

A million years ago, the late Frank Keating wrote about it in the late Long Island Press.

Both reservoirs are good fishing. Both loaded with bait. 

I dont know if Downsville has been stocked with brown trout, but Cannonsville is stocked for at least 15 years now. It was loaded before the stocking.  Other fishing is also good, both from shore and boat.

When cannonsville was drawn down for repair, the tailwater fishing was off the hook. Cold high water in spring open season for weeks. Also dinner bell with all the bait washed out below the dam... fish in the original river bed above the dam did just fine.  Filled up and no noticeable decline in catch.

I'll need to keep up on that draw down for good fishing opportunities. 

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

You need a NY permit to fish those impoundments, no?  And do either Downsville or Cannonsville support a guide or two?

Yes a free NYC permit and a fresh water fishing license.

PM sent

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

You need a NY permit to fish those impoundments, no?  And do either Downsville or Cannonsville support a guide or two?

I've been checked for both the "access permit" and the NYS fishing lic by the NYC DEP. 

DEP will also pull you over for speeding and passing stop signs without coming to a full stop @ 5 am.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I've seen local ads for guiding on the reservoirs. These people usually have several boats and choose boat based on request and conditions.

Does this kind of answer the question?

Hornbeck's Sport Shop in Deposit can answer questions re" Cannonsville. 

Al's Sport Store is the local in Downsville.