wiretap

Newbie Starting Building

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have built a wrapper jig out of cardboard, and I was wondering how essential a rod dryer turner thing is...
I can spin the damn rod but not for 6-8 hours. 

Do I need one, or will the epoxy settle within a few minutes of turning? Is a hair dryer okay to use to speed it up? I assume thinner layers is better without a rod dryer.

TIA!

The epoxy will not settle after a few minutes. The fastest setting finish Threadmaster will still need about 3 hours of rotating depending on the temperature of it's setting. I do 4 hours to be safe. If you do any more than 1 rod which I'm sure you will not buying a dryer would be foolish.

5 hours ago, FisherMan120 said:

The epoxy will not settle after a few minutes. The fastest setting finish Threadmaster will still need about 3 hours of rotating depending on the temperature of it's setting. I do 4 hours to be safe. If you do any more than 1 rod which I'm sure you will not buying a dryer would be foolish.

That is not what I wanted to hear. I've been told otherwise, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Ill have to save up before proceeding further. More time to look at color combos. If you have any tips or links for color combinations I'd love to see!

We don’t always get what we hope for. The person or persons who told you otherwise are way off the mark.

If you are keen to get on and build that first rod whilst it is a pain you can sit with it and turn by hand. Good book and endless coffee help.

Should not be that expensive to get a motor and Chuck to rotate the rod for you.

Mike

Depends on your epoxy.  I tried it by hand first and it was miserable with flex coat.  Tried lighter coats and heat but it was frustrating.   

There are a lot of cheap DIY dryer ideas out there.  Mine is from a $10 variable speed synchronous motor from amazon simple light dimmer switch pvc cap and random scrap.  Done in an hour. 

20191230_142013.jpg.a629303f11037436a455944f1979d5d3.jpg

4 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

Depends on your epoxy.  I tried it by hand first and it was miserable with flex coat.  Tried lighter coats and heat but it was frustrating.   

There are a lot of cheap DIY dryer ideas out there.  Mine is from a $10 variable speed synchronous motor from amazon simple light dimmer switch pvc cap and random scrap.  Done in an hour. 

20191230_142013.jpg.a629303f11037436a455944f1979d5d3.jpg

I'm pretty crafty/macgyver, but only when it comes to making bongs and other smoking tools.... hahah >.>

Ill look up some DIY rod turner guides. 

Then you're halfway there.  Will help with applying the finish. *

Edited by TimS
Please don’t send people to other sites when they ask a question here

Posted (edited) · Report post

FYI, if you want to try building one.

Dryer was a must for me and this also served me as a part of  wrapper and plug epoxy dryer...

Built this 15 years ago and am still using it.

Cost me a broken VCR, Pipe cap and a surplus step down gear motor(~$5)

img_6028_1852250768_o.jpg.c4aae557064d3e002bd36a566e9c63cd.jpgimg_6027_1851426881_o.jpg.e3d70d833c5fec6b4506d4cadc0e604c.jpg

Edited by Gundalba