wiretap

Newbie Starting Building

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have built a wrapper jig out of cardboard, and I was wondering how essential a rod dryer turner thing is...
I can spin the damn rod but not for 6-8 hours. 

Do I need one, or will the epoxy settle within a few minutes of turning? Is a hair dryer okay to use to speed it up?

TIA!

42 mins ago, wiretap said:

I have built a wrapper jig out of cardboard, and I was wondering how essential a rod dryer turner thing is...
I can spin the damn rod but not for 6-8 hours. 

Do I need one, or will the epoxy settle within a few minutes of turning? Is a hair dryer okay to use to speed it up?

TIA!

you can use cordles drill for turning,you should be only turning til the epoxy sets,5 min,30 min epoxie,it depend what epoxy you use.epoxie has to set and now you do not need spin,you spin that only when epoxie flow,it wil create drip.

43 mins ago, ged said:

Yes, a rod dryer is an investment you should make. Low rpm drying motor is cheap. 

Def need a rod dryer.. rotate for a few hours .A hair dryer is not a good option.

Definitely need a way to turn the rod while the epoxy kicks.  I built my wrapper (manual) and mounted a rotisserie motor on a stand at the same height so my wrapper also serves as a dryer.  Rotisserie motor was about $30 at homies-some use old microwave turntable motors too-

First rods I ever built I had nothing more than a cardboard box with two “V” notches cut in the ends to cradle the rod.  Actual rod building epoxy cures slowly so I was turning the rod 180 degrees every 20 minutes for a few hours. I did it on a day when I didn’t have to  be anywhere else. Rods turned out perfect and I still have them. Yeah, a drying motor is nice but not an absolute must have. 

1 hour ago, valentine said:

Actual rod building epoxy cures slowly so I was turning the rod 180 degrees every 20 minutes for a few hours. 

What brand did you use? Is that after you heat it up to remove excess epoxy?

6 hours ago, wiretap said:

What brand did you use? Is that after you heat it up to remove excess epoxy?

First rods I built were part of a class in rod building I took. That was well over 30 years ago and I recall that we were given pre-measured packets of epoxy and catalyst. They were about the size of those ketchup packets from a fast food place, in case you don’t know what I’m talking about. I believe the actual epoxy was manufactured by “Flex Coat” but it was a long time ago so I won’t swear to it. As far as heating the epoxy to remove excess; that’s not something I need to do because I don’t slather it on too thickly. Even with the high build formulas I brush it on lightly. It just makes a better looking finish, in my opinion. You really can build a beautiful rod without using store bought tools. It isn’t hard at all, it just takes a bit of patience and time.