Dave588

Flight simulator games

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My kids have notebook computers and x box. All on same network. I am looking at flight simulators. Does anyone have experience? I know the new microsoft version is out in 2020. What is everyone using now?

Go out to youtube and look for some grimreapers video's.  Amazing stuff.  not sure what they are using, but seems to be the most real simulator I have ever seen.  

There's games and then there's flight sims.  You won't find a real flight sim for a console, just some games.  For a PC it depends on what you want.  For hi-fidelity civilian simulators look at X-plane and MS Flight Simulator.  Lockheed Martin has also put out a training grade sim called Prepar3D. For historic combat sims, there's IL-2 Sturmovik, which IMO was never as good as the MS Combat Flight Simulators (which used a lot of the MSFS flight dynamics) but is the only real game in town since MS abandoned the CFS line.  There's some jet combat sims out there too but they were never my thing.

I was involved with a group of guys designing new airplanes for the CFS line and under NDA with Microsoft to develop the cancelled CFS4 though, so my bias is towards realistic simulators rather than games.  Gamers find sims boring, simmers think the same about arcade-style games.  MS could never figure out how to combine the two well and still make money in such a small market.

IL-2 online is more funner. Flying combat missions against other people in a first person shooter situation with WW2 is aircraft is a challenge . I used to belong to a group  that was HQ'ed in UK named the Eagle Squadron after RAF 71 Squadron who before the USAAF went to UK had Americans and Canadians flying with them. Online comms with Teamspeak allowed 'pilots' to talk while gaming. I have the joystick and rudder pedals and headset like a real geek. That is all. carry on.

4 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

There's games and then there's flight sims.  You won't find a real flight sim for a console, just some games.  For a PC it depends on what you want.  For hi-fidelity civilian simulators look at X-plane and MS Flight Simulator.  Lockheed Martin has also put out a training grade sim called Prepar3D. For historic combat sims, there's IL-2 Sturmovik, which IMO was never as good as the MS Combat Flight Simulators (which used a lot of the MSFS flight dynamics) but is the only real game in town since MS abandoned the CFS line.  There's some jet combat sims out there too but they were never my thing.

I was involved with a group of guys designing new airplanes for the CFS line and under NDA with Microsoft to develop the cancelled CFS4 though, so my bias is towards realistic simulators rather than games.  Gamers find sims boring, simmers think the same about arcade-style games.  MS could never figure out how to combine the two well and still make money in such a small market.

I am thinking more flight simulator with yoke and rudder pedals.