BigNevadaBob

Fuji BCKLAG corrosion control?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Whether it is rust or stain, the issue may be explained in the following article.

http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-b/passivating-stainless-steel

For a removal fluid, you may want to try lemon or lime juice (Citric acids).  Follow the above instructions to the letter.

And finally, wax your rod (including guides) after every season and before the first use.

The bottom line seems to be a stainless steel frame with a high carbon content or low chromium content.

The following may be of general interest.

Whether rust or "staining" it's unacceptable. Replacement of cheap guides hardly makes up for the deficiency of an inferior product since the real cost is the time to strip, rewrap, and finish.  I've had similar experience with rust or "rust colored staining" on the CC guides that was never an issue with the black finish on BMNAGs.

So what's the alternative to CC guides?

Posted (edited)

Steve,

I would believe that several companies offer better alternatives.

After doing limited research on the internet, the following are some of the findings:

least corrosion resistance - SS304

better corrosion resistance - SS316

best corrosion resistance - SS316L

There are other grades available (SS417, SS420, etc) with different characteristics.

I then contacted a manufacturer that specialized in matching the type of stainless steel used to meet the requirements of a product. After explaining the rust problems, the manufacturers representative mentioned that the problem could be from not following procedures or having a contaminated system. Another aspect is the quality of the SS being used.

The following was found that identified regional areas:

"The United States and Canada are known to experience salt-laden mist originating from the oceans. The rainwater in these regions also has chloride concentrations, and people use deicing salts in the mountainous or northern regions within the U.S. All these scenarios lead to surroundings that are harsh to steel elements. As such, there's significant application corrosion experienced in these regions."

And finally spoke to the sales representative for Seaguide.

There may be a couple of guides that meet your requirement for the BMNAG guides.

LBG - ultra-light guide SS316L

MRG - high strength and durable frame design, medium heavy boat guide SS316L

XRG - extremely durable, reduces tangle SS316L

XBG and BG - available in larger sizes SS304

Discussed was the protection of SS304 against rust. PVD is the recommended coating as it is more durable than normal colored coatings. Major <fishing rod> manufacturers are switching to PVD coating for their frames (two were mentioned).

The above frame styles should/may be available in PVD HB (black).

Hope this helps,

Don

Edited by Don B

Thanks for the response, Don. I see American Tackle uses 316SS in some of their guides I was considering which might hold up better than the Fuji CCs.

I decided to go with titanium guides. Giving American Tackle a try.

This problem has been resolved so I am sticking with the fuji guides. they are the only ones i see designing guides to actually cast better and certainly seem to be the most copies design. No doubt the effed up the original CC guides but they have offered to replace them with is all they can do really. Same thing happens if a blank breaks, they dont build the rod for you. I have been using Fuji guides for many years, built many rods with them and will continue to do.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what was the outcome here? I noticed rust on mine as well after one season. Do I reach out to mudhhole?

Mudhole didn't build the guides, so why would you go to them? If it was me I would get my answers from the horse's mouth, Angler's Resource/Fuji.

There is more than one source of guides, Fuji is not the only one making line shedding designs, and you do know all this is over a minute amount of casting distance at best. The options out there are so numerous from sources no one is having a problem with, the post is almost 3 years old, I suggest moving on to better products, I know I would.

9 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

I suggest moving on to better products, I know I would.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I built 3 rods last year and they all rusted up within weeks.  Never again.

Angler's Resource took care of me and replaced them with some black frame guides which were still available at the time.

Since then, I have built a few more rods with BC guides and they all show some staining but nowhere as bad as the old set. 

American tackle has similar framed guides to the KW, KL and KL-H in black but the fit and finish on them is not as nice as the fuji stuff. 

Same here AR took care of me.  I wasn’t happy that I had to redo the guides but thumps up to them for taking care of the defective guides. 

Posted (edited)

We continue to replace any CC or BC guides that have shown this problem and while Fuji has made great strides toward a solution, they continue to examine ways to further improve the process. Because inventory turns at different rates on different shelves in different parts of the distribution chain, it becomes impossible to "guarantee" you won't find an old one or two. In those cases, we will continue to offer free replacements.

Edited by Croaker JO

One or two guides I'd be fine with. But 3 complete sets, in different styles and colors, bought over the course of a year?  Either I have the worst luck ever or something is fishy.

I had this issue. Fuji took care of me and sent me replacement guides. Get in touch with them they were very easy to deal with. 

On 6/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, Croaker JO said:

We continue to replace any CC or BC guides that have shown this problem and while Fuji has made great strides toward a solution, they continue to examine ways to further improve the process. Because inventory turns at different rates on different shelves in different parts of the distribution chain, it becomes impossible to "guarantee" you won't find an old one or two. In those cases, we will continue to offer free replacements.

Do you work for the company? I submitted a request through the site, haven't heard back. Is there someone I need to call?