NJChevyGuy

What's your go to air down psi ?

80 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, ghost said:

There is no proper pressure, it all depends on the tires, sand and the truck.

 

Lower pressure works best , but then you need more time to air up upon leaving the beach or you have to drive on very low soft tires on the road. 

 

I personally like to stay at the highest pressure (81-20 psi) that works on the sand, because I will stay at that pressure my entire stay at OBX and some of that involves driving at 55-65 mph. Extreme low pressure increases tire wear and lowers safety.  

Opps, I didnt read through all the posts... I basically just reiterated what GHOST just said, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 5:51 PM, bstriping said:

2014 Tacoma 22. OBX, Portsmouth, Ocracoke,  and Cape Lookout. Never had to go any lower. Brigantine NJ, never had to air down when I fished there. And 22 at Cape Cod. 

Curious what Cape Cod beaches you run at 22.

 

Doable with some aggressive driving, but thats pretty high for some spots around Race Point.

Notably the hill out of the night fishing area, out of high head and even the hills in and out of Race Point South.

In general your going to tear it up a bit at 22 with normal tires everywhere out there.

 

22 would easily do Sandy Neck, not familiar with Nauset but I here its not to bad.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Curious what Cape Cod beaches you run at 22.

 

Doable with some aggressive driving, but thats pretty high for some spots around Race Point.

Notably the hill out of the night fishing area, out of high head and even the hills in and out of Race Point South.

In general your going to tear it up a bit at 22 with normal tires everywhere out there.

 

22 would easily do Sandy Neck, not familiar with Nauset but I here its not to bad.

 

 

Dude we did coast guard beach up that hill without airing down. Give me a break.  Try the beaches in Buxton if you want a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bstriping said:

Dude we did coast guard beach up that hill without airing down. Give me a break.  Try the beaches in Buxton if you want a challenge. 

Coast Guard in Truro?  Do you have monster truck tires?  I’ve seen people struggle to get up that hill even aired down. 
Around 7-8 years ago at Head of the Meadow the hill at the access point was insanely steep with a 90 degree turn right at the bottom.  Everyone was struggling to get off the beach. It was nice entertainment watching everyone try to get up. You had to be going around 30 MPH full throttle to get up and there was a big hole about halfway up. Then you would have idiots walking down the middle of the trail trying to come see seals with trucks flying up.  I think that was the last year that beach was open to driving. Fun times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, z-man said:

Coast Guard in Truro?  Do you have monster truck tires?  I’ve seen people struggle to get up that hill even aired down. 
Around 7-8 years ago at Head of the Meadow the hill at the access point was insanely steep with a 90 degree turn right at the bottom.  Everyone was struggling to get off the beach. It was nice entertainment watching everyone try to get up. You had to be going around 30 MPH full throttle to get up and there was a big hole about halfway up. Then you would have idiots walking down the middle of the trail trying to come see seals with trucks flying up.  I think that was the last year that beach was open to driving. Fun times. 

Been awhile since I've been up there. You are right, you did need a good running start. And about 3/4 of the way up, you'd be like oh ****tt, but you had to keep going or you weren't getting off that beach. Too bad they closed it. It was a challenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, Blank Disc said:

4Runner. Use it on the sandy beaches of Long Island. I am ~12-15 psi. I need to recalibrate my auto-deflators this winter. Thanks for the reminder!

 

In addition to recalibration do you lube them? Mine are a little "sticky" and sometimes stop letting air out too early. I was thinking maybe a small shot of wd40 but I don't want to mess them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

In addition to recalibration do you lube them? Mine are a little "sticky" and sometimes stop letting air out too early. I was thinking maybe a small shot of wd40 but I don't want to mess them up. 

Mine have not gotten sticky — so I don’t lube them but I would try if there were issues. I could imagine they would get sticky over many years. Mine are only a couple years old. They stay pretty clean / rust free for me as they are only out of the little leather case 5 min at a time and generally in a protected parking lot. Mine just slip a little and I’m thinking of a little blue thread locker or Teflon to keep things tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how some folks mention using different psi's for different sands....

 

I'm in  a ram right now, Its  right around 15 psi +/- a few for me regardless where i go, that's about where it runs the best on all sand types, any higher, i will get late shifts, more downshifting,  etc

 

I have no need or desire to adjust for sand types..takes about the same time +/- a couple seconds to air back up regardless of psi starting point for me anyway

 

Iv'e not once been on a beach that didn't have deep loose sand all the way up to packed sand variably throughout..

 

IMO, Keep the psi's low...your tranny will thank you..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Largest stock options tires for my '95 f150 I go from 55 down to 25 psi never had a problem with transmission in L2 or cut off the overdrive. Too much asphalt driving at 55mph to want to go any lower. In hatteras

Edited by triumph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nissan NV #500HD   No Lift, stock height.  245/75/17's on road 60psi front, 80PSI rear. Sand Stauns are set to 18 PSI. That's been fine. 

I always jack myself up and out if stuck. I never understood folks who wait till they bottom out, then start digging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some yrs back, when i had my S10 blazer I use to air down the fronts only,  to keep the front end from digging in, back just drags along anyway .... worked well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.