DEmaggIRI

9ft Rod HELP!? odm,st.croix,tiralejo..

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

tried the search function over and over and am not getting what im looking for

looking to replace my 9ft 3/4 to 3 MOJO for something a little more refined and reliable...the ol girl has giving me roughly a 300$limit and i am looking at

ODM DNA GENESIS ..AVID... and i can also get my hands on the older tiralejo 9ft with the limited lifetime warranty as well..

being located in delaware it is impossible for me to get my hands on anything other than your average st croix star penn shimano tsunami offerings..

i mainly fish the local jetty and will walk the beach when all else fails..

my main requirement is the ability to some extent "finesse" a 5in swim shad but also handle larger swimmers and metal lips..my mojo seemed to do just fine with this but after breaking the top section twice im looking elsewhere..

very intrigued my odm but i have ZERO knownledge of there action and limitations

Personally like the 9'6 suzuki alot for what it is. 3/4 to 3.Has a nice a action for finesse imo. But also a really nice rod for the money is the tsunami airwave elite 9'6 3/4 -3 a little more moderate and sloppy if you like that kind of rod more. I like a faster action for shorter rods and moderate for longer personally.

Both rods get sloppy over 2oz so I try to stay at 2oz or under. they can throw more if needed for sure. Also both rods can throw pretty good down to 1/2oz . Main difference is the action and the blackhole is lighter for sure.

I own a 10’ Avid Surf and I recently purchased a 9’ ODM D.N.A..

The Avid is a really nice rod, nice backbone and casts its range well, I have 0 complaints after a season with it. It is also faster than the odm for sure. The ODM is also super light and feels like a super nice rod. Again, I’ve only test casted it in a creek, never landed a fish on it. The only plug I’ve thrown with it was a 2oz pencil popper so I can’t say much about it’s range until I give it a proper test casting on Friday or Saturday when I’m done with my finals.

Edited by ASrod

I had the two 9 foot tiralejos... Polar opposites in action.  One a super fast action broomstick and the one rated to 2 ounces is a buggy whip.  

Go with the current 9'6 if you want a do all light to medium duty stick 

Spend a little more and go genesis. Phenomenal rods, and they cast their full weight range no problem. Only reason I got rid of mine was to have an ODM Evolution built. 

the only other 9foot I have any expierence with is the mojo , which I believe is a faster action..

to be honest I don't really understand the differences in action..I understand the genesis is more moderate..
what are the main differences between the dna and genesis.

I need something that can finesse a half oz relatively well but also stop 30lb fish in current and lift schoolies from the rocks..

19 hours ago, Birdman21 said:

Just picked up my 9’ Genesis the other day. Haven’t landed any fish in it yet, but it casts so effortlessly and I can throw plugs with it all day! 

ending up ordering the 9ft genesis from tackle direct last night...now i just need to wait till spring

On 12/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, scoobydoo said:

Go with the current 9'6 if you want a do all light to medium duty stick 

Scooby is on the money. The current version Tiralejo 9’6” is one of the best, do all surf rods out there, price no object. Other than Shimano making it a little lighter, can’t see how they could improve this rod. You can easily pick this rod up at a 20% discount at one of the off season saltwater shows.

I did own the 9ft. Genesis, but quickly sold it. I know how popular these rods are, but i’m one of the few that didn’t like it. I’m not going to get into specifics, but I would go St croix as my second choice.