Big Biscuit

Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on Webers foray into the pellet grill movement? I have to admit I'm a little curious about this. It seems Weber has done their homework and fixed a couple of common problems that plague pellet grills. Like not being able to sear a steak at 600* over pretty much the whole grate area. They also made it easy to maintenance, you can get to the guts by remove just a few screws. When you turn the unit off the auger goes in reverse to prevent a back draft or blow back fire. I've always been one to poke fun of people that use these, but I think I've been converted. My wife asked me if I'd like one for my 50th birthday in the coming year, I think I'm going to say yes.    

29 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

Little, Loots, SIM, Dingus?  What do you have to say?

Oops missed this.

I've never had one but i am a fan.  My Nashville BFF has a Rec Tec out at the Lake, we used it last summer, put a whole bunch of chicken parts on it and cooked them at 350, worked like a charm.

Pellet poopers are the real thing.  Temp runs nice, the smoke on a long cook is just right.  That Rec Tec is twice what the treagers are, but my guess is the difference is the heavy duty metal-it was a tank.

And hell its weber.  Id let those people raise my children.

What about your Kamado, will it get jealous?

15 hours ago, Little said:

Oops missed this.

I've never had one but i am a fan.  My Nashville BFF has a Rec Tec out at the Lake, we used it last summer, put a whole bunch of chicken parts on it and cooked them at 350, worked like a charm.

Pellet poopers are the real thing.  Temp runs nice, the smoke on a long cook is just right.  That Rec Tec is twice what the treagers are, but my guess is the difference is the heavy duty metal-it was a tank.

And hell its weber.  Id let those people raise my children.

What about your Kamado, will it get jealous?

The KJ will still get plenty of love, so will my kettles, and my wsm. I just like the thought of having a different toy to play with. My wife has seen me watching some of Webers promotional videos and asked if I'd like one for my 50th. Think I'm going to say yes. 

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

pellet grill= fly fishing

That's pretty funny.

YMMV, searing a pellet grill is silly - just doesn't work for me, not even close.  I've put a cast iron grill on the grates and let it get as hot as possible and sear in that but even that is not the good. Pellets grill are for smoking only IMO and the do an excellent job at that.