Tamarindo, Costa Rica Surfcasting

Rate this topic

bigfish95

Just got back from Tamarindo yesterday and figured I'd share what I learned while it was still fresh in my mind.  It wasn't a dedicated fishing trip for me, but I still managed a few hours every morning or evening and by the end of the trip I'd wished I had a few more days because I felt I was starting to figure things out.  

I took a 10'6" St Croix and an 8'6" Okuma travel rod, paid to check both because I was advised I couldn't carry them on.  Also checked a bag of fishing gear.   $90 each way for my fishing fees :hooked:.  The rods survived the journey, though the tip on the St. Croix came loose on the 3rd cast and remained a mild annoyance the rest of the trip.  St. Croix rod was for launching big poppers and metals in hopes of a rooster or pelagics - didn't happen.  I used the Okuma for everything else, and was the only rod that had bent by the end of the trip.

There is an estuary North of town in Tamarindo where you can get a panga or a charter - I was advised by several locals that fishing there isn't safe because of crocs.  I took them at their word and fished elsewhere, though it did look promising.  There is also an estuary in Playa Langosta south of Tamarindo that was very productive at the top of the tide.  For some reason crocs weren't a concern there.  There is a hotel right on the estuary so it is crowded most of the day, so dawn or dusk are your best bets as the tide allows.  Snook and Snappers across multiple days.  There were also consistent BIG barrels there if you're bringing a board.  I don't know where you'll be staying, but its a pretty easy bike ride.  There are also golf carts you can rent for the day to get you around.  It would have been a long walk from where I was staying.  

At the south end of Tamarindo - before the estuary in Playa Langosta there is a large out-cropping of rocks that had fish at all stages of the tide.  Those rocks were the only place I saw fish working, and though they were in casting range a couple of times - they never wanted what I was offering.  I did catch a bunch of whatever I caught in the picture below (hopefully one the sharpies can enlighten me).  Looked like some type of grouper to me, but couldn't find a match on the web.  If you're trying to fish the rocks - you're going to need spikes.  I packed a pair of dive boots and the pull over corker ice cleats.  They packed well and got the job done.  I left a couple of plugs in those rocks - hope you find one.

All of my fish were caught on a small paddle tail or a 5 inch redfin.  I tried a number of things, to a fault probably, but those were the only items that produced.

Enjoy your trip - Pura Vida  

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0650.jpeg

rocks.jpeg

• 10 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, Fishy4335 said:

Fira Beach- Osa Peninsula. We were there June. Had about 7 roosters

Fishy, I've been to the Osa twice, where is Fira Beach??  Stayed in Puerto Jimenez and Drake Bay.  Loved the Peninsula, always looking for new adventures.