bigfish95

Tamarindo, Costa Rica Surfcasting

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Getting the winter itch to go fishing. Will be spending a few days in Tamarindo, Costa Rica this upcoming February... Would like to get some fishing in from the shore lines. Never fished there before and hoping it is at least permitted within reasonable walking distance of my resort. Any tips or suggestions for type of gear / tackle to bring along ??? Any information is helpful !

There are roosters littered all over the Pacific side of CR..... as well as many other large game species..... if you can transport a 10'6 2-6 rod with a 6000 size reel you should be fine! Throw in a lighter setup as well!

35 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

There are roosters littered all over the Pacific side of CR..... as well as many other large game species..... if you can transport a 10'6 2-6 rod with a 6000 size reel you should be fine! Throw in a lighter setup as well!

Have you ever fished in CR?

1 hour ago, Fishy4335 said:

Offcourse,Of course, otherwise I would respond... lol...  

I am looking into it. Where did you fish? what time of year and how did you do with the roosters?

3 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

What type of lures ? I was thinking a mix of larger profile topwater poppers and some tin would be sufficient as I don’t want to overpack.

1 hour ago, levari said:

I am looking into it. Where did you fish? what time of year and how did you do with the roosters?

Fira Beach- Osa Peninsula. We were there June. Had about 7 roosters

Can’t help you with fishing that specific area, but just a reminder to check your reel/spool in baggage when leaving the country.  When I was there, I had to remove all the line from my reel into the trash can before they would let me through security.  

1 hour ago, levari said:

Thanks

Yw.... just beaches just west of the matapalo rock just outside of Puerto jimanez- if you can get on a boat to matapalo rock you have a chance of getting onto some giant cubera snapper.... I had one on that we needed to follow with boat it was so big.... I tried to keep it up but it ended up getting into rocks and lost it.... must have been at least 60 lb cubera

.... whole boat went quite after that...lol

The fishing down there is amazing

Edited by Fishy4335

3 hours ago, bigfish95 said:

What type of lures ? I was thinking a mix of larger profile topwater poppers and some tin would be sufficient as I don’t want to overpack.

Large poppers, large swimmers imitating blue runners!!! Blue runners are bait of choice down there inshore!!!

Edited by Fishy4335

1 hour ago, Fishy4335 said:

Yw.... just beaches just west of the matapalo rock just outside of Puerto jimanez- if you can get on a boat to matapalo rock you have a chance of getting onto some giant cubera snapper.... I had one on that we needed to follow with boat it was so big.... I tried to keep it up but it ended up getting into rocks and lost it.... must have been at least 60 lb cubera

.... whole boat went quite after that...lol

The fishing down there is amazing

Did you catch these roosters from shore or boat?

6 hours ago, levari said:

Did you catch these roosters from shore or boat?

Just past the breakers on boat! We were set up roughly 40 yards from shore- easy. Casting distance from shore

11 hours ago, jhillman17 said:

Can’t help you with fishing that specific area, but just a reminder to check your reel/spool in baggage when leaving the country.  When I was there, I had to remove all the line from my reel into the trash can before they would let me through security.  

Same here

Only fished tamarindo once. Fished the mouth of the estuary a couple of miles south

Got nada but my time was limited. Family trip. Google Earth is good tool. Pay attention to River , creeks and estuary mouths. Good luck