Flukeparmigiana

Jigging for tog spinning gear

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked but cannot find answer in search.  Why is a spinning outfit so much better than a similarly light weight baitcasting outfit for tog  jigging ? 

Can’t figure it out.  

Edited by Flukeparmigiana

It’s easier to just flip the bail to let the jig fall rather than pay out line in free spool.  At least I think that would be the reason. 

Ok I guess, just lets you get to bottom quicker ?  Only makes it there a few seconds faster I would think. Rather use a real lightweight baitcasting set up but guys swear  by the  higher catches with spinning. 

Edited by Flukeparmigiana

1 hour ago, Flukeparmigiana said:

Ok I guess, just lets you get to bottom quicker ?  Only makes it there a few seconds faster I would think. 

It only really matters if you're using light jigs, 1/4 - 5/8oz, and it's not just faster fall it's falling more vertically to where you pitch it out, if you're on land or anchored and trying to probe around the piece. Trying to get a light jig down while stripping line manually off a baitcaster could cause the jig to swing back and pendulum towards you, causing you to miss your target. Also you're usually tying a long length of heavy leader even to light jigs, which exacerbates the problem...spinning gear is just more precise the lighter you go jig-wise. 

Edited by buddha162

Oooooo k , that makes sense if you are trying to direct  to exact spot. But usually i just push thumb bar on baitcastet and drop jig , then if no bite for a while reel up a little and release jig on over a few inches or feet till i find a tog . But i see what your saying if you want to drop back on same spot I guess.  Thanks.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, Flukeparmigiana said:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked but cannot find answer in search.  Why is a spinning outfit so much better than a similarly light weight baitcasting outfit for tog  jigging ? 

Can’t figure it out.  

It's easier to feel the jig too IMO regardless of the weight. buddha162 hit the nail on the head w his post. I've tried my fluking baitcast setup which is definitely light, and it's just not the same as my spinning setup.