codfish

Ways around the 28/35 inch fish

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ged said:

Commercial license sales will increase

Since the commercial quota will go down 18%, and there's a tag system, what's wrong with that?  Number of fish taken commercially won't change and hopefully MA Marine Resources will put the increased license sale income to good use...

9 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

So, I just crawled out from under my rock and would like to know. Is this rule official? And if so, when is it effective?

No, nothing official yet.  Rules and CE considerations will be hammered out during the February ASFMC meeting, and they should go "on line" shortly after that, in time for the start of the 2020 season.

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

No, nothing official yet.  Rules and CE considerations will be hammered out during the February ASFMC meeting, and they should go "on line" shortly after that, in time for the start of the 2020 season.

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Since the commercial quota will go down 18%, and there's a tag system, what's wrong with that?  Number of fish taken commercially won't change and hopefully MA Marine Resources will put the increased license sale income to good use...

No, nothing official yet.  Rules and CE considerations will be hammered out during the February ASFMC meeting, and they should go "on line" shortly after that, in time for the start of the 2020 season.

 If the reasoning is that they want the license to keep fish for themselves, then those fish won’t be included in the quota. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, JTR said:

 If the reasoning is that they want the license to keep fish for themselves, then those fish won’t be included in the quota. 

Oh yes they will, since they'll have to use tags up to mark them.  Otherwise it's a poached recreational fish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Since the commercial quota will go down 18%, and there's a tag system, what's wrong with that?  Number of fish taken commercially won't change and hopefully MA Marine Resources will put the increased license sale income to good use...

No, nothing official yet.  Rules and CE considerations will be hammered out during the February ASFMC meeting, and they should go "on line" shortly after that, in time for the start of the 2020 season.

Correct. Nothing's official yet and there are no new rules yet (I can only speak to rec sector, no idea about comm). So this proposed slot is not a given if states come up with an alternative conservation equivalency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Oh yes they will, since they'll have to use tags up to mark them.  Otherwise it's a poached recreational fish...

They have tags now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

They have had tags for years now.

Gotcha, I was thinking that was a new reg.

 

That doesn’t change the fact that if they’re keeping them for personal consumption, they’ll just tag them and bring them home. Still won’t get reported.

Edited by JTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Oh yes they will, since they'll have to use tags up to mark them.  Otherwise it's a poached recreational fish...

Wrong...dealer puts the tag on the fish, not the fishermen. Quota is tallied by weighed fish at dealers; individual fished are usually not weighed, i.e., put in totes in approximately 100-120 lb lump sums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, makaha said:

Wrong...dealer puts the tag on the fish, not the fishermen. Quota is tallied by weighed fish at dealers; individual fished are usually not weighed, i.e., put in totes in approximately 100-120 lb lump sums

This makes more sense to me. In my limited experience with commercial fishermen, I never remember seeing them tag fish, but figured I must have just missed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.