MakoMaster

Conventional Casting Reels?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What is the best conventional Casting reel for big fish like shark, rays, tarpon and big bass? I was thinking a Trinidad 20a. Will probably alternate between a 10-11ft rod. Want something with good line capacity. I will be using bait in the case. Thanks in advance 

Edited by MakoMaster

I assume the bass you have in mind are stripers?

You're likely to get two different answers depending on your answer to this question: are you planning to soak bait, or use artificials? I don't think rays are taken on artificials. Some sharks are, but most sharks and rays are taken on bait. And sharks and rays do come in bigger sizes than stripers. Beach tarpon, I dunno.

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I haven't read much about the Trini 20a as a beach fisherman's casting reel. Gents?

Yes I am using bait, forget to mention that lol. I figured it would be a good reel because I've seen videos of guys on the west coast using them to cast at tuna, so figured why not use it in the surf. 

I used a Slosh30 for "8 and bait" when I lived in Hatteras 12 years ago. If I wanted to try conventional again I'd take a good look at the Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAG. I have no personal experience, but it seems designed for your purposes.

For sharks and rays?  The M7HTMAG is awfully small.  Sharks caught from Northeastern beaches sometimes exceed 100 lb.  Your Slosh30 would be a far better choice. If the OP is in tarpon country, it'd be no surprise to meet a shark notably bigger than 100 lb. 

IMHO there are much, much better reels for the OP's proposed uses. The Daiwa Saltiga 35H [disclaimer: I did not pay full price for mine] is a lovely reel. The Penn Torque in a suitable size. The new Fathom II.  If the budget permits, there are a number of very nice lever drgs that are suited for casting bait.

MakoMaster, tell us where geographically you're going to be fishing. And you can use the Search tool (top right hand corner of the opening page] to Search for threads about shark fishing from shore. There's plenty of tackle discussion to be enjoyed.

P.S.  Big typo in this post, which I just corrected .... I originally wrote "level wind" where I should have said "lever drag."  BIG brain fart.

Edited by BrianBM

2 hours ago, MakoMaster said:

What is the best conventional Casting reel for big fish like shark, rays, tarpon and big bass? I was thinking a Trinidad 20a. Will probably alternate between a 10-11ft rod. Want something with good line capacity. I will be using bait in the case. Thanks in advance 

Seigler SM hands down!

51A3989F-65CC-407E-A147-63404D464AED.png

Edited by Birdsnester

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

For sharks and rays?  The M7HTMAG is awfully small.  Sharks caught from Northeastern beaches sometimes exceed 100 lb.  Your Slosh30 would be a far better choice. If the OP is in tarpon country, it'd be no surprise to meet a shark notably bigger than 100 lb. 

IMHO there are much, much better reels for the OP's proposed uses. The Daiwa Saltiga 35H [disclaimer: I did not pay full price for mine] is a lovely reel. The Penn Torque in a suitable size. The new Fathom II.  If the budget permits, there are a number of very nice level winds that are suited for casting bait.

MakoMaster, tell us where geographically you're going to be fishing. And you can use the Search tool (top right hand corner of the opening page] to Search for threads about shark fishing from shore. There's plenty of tackle discussion to be enjoyed.

Sand beach mostly. Just looking for something that can hold a lot of line and be castable. 

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

IMHO there are much, much better reels for the OP's proposed uses. The Daiwa Saltiga 35H [disclaimer: I did not pay full price for mine] is a lovely reel. The Penn Torque in a suitable size. The new Fathom II.  If the budget permits, there are a number of very nice level winds that are suited for casting bait.

You're right... I was thinking about the dogfish and skate that tend to take bait.

I use the Diawa 700 and will handle a lot maybe even a 100lb fish but it maybe spent it you catch 2 of the those hundred pounders, I also have the Trinidad and it casts a good distance using a century 12 footer.of course of u had a drone casting your line out for you it would be easier. The trinidad will hold up to multiple shark catches 

Edited by Surf bomber

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I haven't read much about the Trini 20a as a beach fisherman's casting reel. Gents?

Caught a huge ray on a big KastMaster this summer. Same exact thing the year before and landed a huge ray on a spinfisher 3500 when fishing for cocktail blues. They'll hit tins and shads when they show up in force in the bay waters in NJ. More often than not on bunker pieces as bycatch

I would go with a fathom 2 25 star drag.  Plenty of line and drag.  Pretty much the same as the past fathom.  They cast awesome and are tanks.  I have used the 15 on an 11ft cts for years and have handle everything in the NE no problem.  No problems yet in FL and have caught bull sharks to 60#s or so easily.

What line are you using?  I have used penn 525 and fathom 15’s for years.  I fish the obx w 17 lb mono and 50 lb shockleader.  I have been spooled by very large sharks but have landed many up to 150 lbs or so. I have had no issue w very large red drum, Cobia up to 77 lbs and very large rays.  The fathom 15’s have an excellent drag and you are only limited by your ability for casting distance.  If you need more line capacity, which you might for big tarpon you could use a braid backing.