Ever wonder why Cabelas went away

Rate this topic

Vaporizor

9 mins ago, mako20ft said:

Socks...oh my, one of the few things I'm real particular about  :howdy:  On Amazon, "Peoples Socks".  10 out of 10 and reasonably priced.

Sorry, I was railing on the whole cheap, cheap American deal.  People are gonna do what they do I'd just like to think I've learned me enough to know better  :laugh:

Thanks for the tip I’ll give them a look-see :howdy:

21 hours ago, mako20ft said:

You bring up a lot of good points here and in your earlier post.  I'd like to add that it's not just the quality that is steadily turning manufacturing back to our shores it's also simple capitalism.  Wage rates in concentrated manufacturing areas of China have been and continue to rise.  The one (literally the only) advantage to shipping jobs overseas was plentiful cheap labor.  Everything else involved was a total PIA as you reinvented the supply chain.  Take out the 30 cent a day slave wages and what's the point when all the logistics are against you.

Anyway, without beating the specifics I see Cabelas as nothing more than Bass Pro (and that's not a compliment).  They make margin on T-shirts, trinkets and Redhead brand label merchandise.  There is little volume in firearms.  If I had to guess, they'd forfeit every AR or pistol sale in lieu just getting your dollars on the ammo, the sling, the extra magazine, the range bag to hump it around in.  I even question them offering scopes...outside of boutique sales like Eotech or Swarovski there's to much retail display space, staff training, etc to justify the return.

IMHO, Cabelas will more and more appeal to the last minute type, the googans and the newbs.  Guys and gals that have been at this awhile don't need the latest gizmo, plan ahead and either go with the local shop or (let's face it...), order online.

The so called cheap Chinese stuff has replaced the made in Japan mantra.  However I have had great success in buying large stainless steel Kast Masters large lures for one.  So IMHO it depends on which company either Chinese or American you purchase from.  I have seen venerable companies like LL Bean morph into a Japanese style Bloomingdales  where sales people have little or no knowledge of products they are selling, etc.