SudsLove

Surf Spinning Reel

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times but I'll ask nonetheless to hopefully get a gauge on what the consensus leans towards. Looking for a proven (tested on the water) 5000/6000 size spinner for an 11ft stick that's NOT a Van Staal or Zee Bass. Budget will be under $300. Appreciate all honest input.

Thanks. 

Shimano Spheros SW is a decent choice. Has seals to keep water and sand out. Not like van staal, cant reel underwater but good for getting dunked or splashed. Priced around 200. Caught a ton of fish on mine and so far has been a solid reel. 

Thanks AjT. I'll take a look at that one. Honestly never been drawn to Shimano since they seem to look to "nice" for the rigors of the surf imo. Good to know yours has been tested though.

30 mins ago, SudsLove said:

Thanks ASrod. The Penns do look good. Some people say they're a bit on the heavy side..?

The 6500 is about the same weight as a VS250. It would balance out quite nicely with an 11 foot stick. Personally my main setup is a 10’ Avid Surf with a VSX250 and I have a Penn SSVI4500 bailless on another setup. For a 4500 sized reel I wouldn’t say the Spinfisher is heavy. They are sealed (not fish underwater sealed) but are just fine as long as you aren’t turning the handle underwater. I’m not sure there’s a better $150 reel on the market.

Edited by ASrod

It’s right at the top of what you want to spend. Bur it’s the next best choice behind the sealed reels in VS/ZB etc.

Durabilty and protections from the surf elements are huge and the Shimano Saragossa 5000 hits these points.  
It’s lightweight, good retrieve rates, and has some good sealing going in. 
if you want to spend less money I would get the Spinfisher 4500. 

01307949-1342-4371-9C8E-2570A8162E6C.png

Daiwa Saltist 5000 - MSRP $230...

SALTIST.png

New Saltist Spinning reels are made to withstand the elements. With the rugged and durable reputation of the Saltist name. These reels feature a Magsealed main shaft, Magsealed line roller and (CRBB) corrosion resistant ball bearings for long lasting smoothness and performance.

Features;

• Magsealed line roller and main shaft
  • "HardBodyz" body and side cover
  • Light weight Air Rotor design
  • Air Bail®–tubular stainless for lightweight strength
  • Digigear™ digital gear design
  • Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS spool
  • Waterproof Carbon ATD Drag System

Model Gear Ratio Line per
Crank
Weight
(oz)
Braid Capacity Drag
SALTIST5000 5.7:1 47.4” 22.9 40/480, 50/360, 65/310 22

Thanks Ahab. I saw these but was a bit thrown off by the mag seal stuff. Wondering if they'll be a pain to service? Do they run big? I'd like to be sure I get decent balance on my 11ft. It'll be mainly for plugging.

Thanks.