JJ2602

Light Surf Tackle?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Forgive the ignorance, but what are COF guides?

Cone of Friction. It's a guide layout that became popular for good reason a few years ago. You ca find specs and info on the web.

I'm considering a 8' 8" Tsunami Airwave Elite for next season. I felt one in the store a while back and was pretty impressed with how light it was. I currently use a 9' St. Croix Triumph Surf with a 4500 Slammer III and find 2 oz to be its max but looking for something a little lighter. If you end up in a store, maybe you should give both of these a try.

4 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Forgive the ignorance, but what are COF guides?

Cone of flight.  It’s an old school set up, newer rods use NGC or new guide concept.  NGC is considered by almost all to be the way to go with braid 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:53 AM, TinyTrout said:

I'm considering a 8' 8" Tsunami Airwave Elite for next season. I felt one in the store a while back and was pretty impressed with how light it was. I currently use a 9' St. Croix Triumph Surf with a 4500 Slammer III and find 2 oz to be its max but looking for something a little lighter. If you end up in a store, maybe you should give both of these a try.

Great choice, nice light rod for long walks on the beach. You can throw lures all day!

When theyre as close as they are now, I use a Shimano Trevala 7'ML paired with a Stradic 5k. It's very light plus it has enough backbone in case a bigger fish or chopper cruises through.  Also, its versatile enough to use on the boat for jigging anything inshore and buck tailing (over 1oz) fluke.  

I built an 8’ rod on a Lami GLB961M blank with NGC setup, wrapped cork handle and plate seat.  Cast great, light and fun to fish.  

Lami has a corresponding finished rod in their line up.  

I went on this quest starting three years ago and I just now (finally) found the rod for this exact application I was looking for...

Its the Zenaq Sonio 100M, 10’ rated 3/8 - 2 1/2oz, performs best with 1/2 to 2oz and fishes like an 11’ rod due to the shorter handle. (butt to reel) I’m using a Stella C5000 FJ loaded with 20# 832 and rod/reel/line weights right at 20oz total.... It has a softer top two feet and then gets faster down the blank with an overall mod-fast action. It cast far has a ton of power and is fairly light. This fall was an absolute blast fishing with this thing!!! It is by far the best surf rod I have ever used in over 20 years playing this game, and I’ve been thru a bunch now... I’m also planning on getting its bigger brother soon, so watch BST for some lightly used rods... LOL! Zenaq are not cheep, but if one can swing the coin for it, it will not disappoint if you like this style of rod.

All I will say is the quest is over for “my ultimate” land based fishing rods!

On 12/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, bayyaker54 said:

The 8’ avid surf would work well

I am looking for a tide master in the same length for when smaller fish are around/back bay application. Can still pull in a bigger fish but it's really all that is necessary if the water is calm and you aren't throwing anything more than an ounce or 2 I feel like.