JJ2602

Light Surf Tackle?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hi All

i have a 10’6” Tsunami Airwave Elite / Saltx 6k  setup for my regular plug rod. Any suggestions for a light surf tackle rod for these smaller fish running these days?

Thinking something that might pair up with the SaltX 4k.....when it finally comes out. 

Edited by JJ2602

Any 7’ rod w 10 lb mono or 20 lb braid 3/8-3/4 oz

or if’n yer feelin really froggy a 6’6”  rod w 8lb mono or 15 lb braid 1/8-1/2 oz

For light surf applications some set ups I Use are 

8ft tica rated 1/2-2 ounces 

8 ft st Croix avid inshore (older model)

rated 3/8-3/4

main set up is 9ft st Croix legend 3/4-4 

I’m right there with you finding my 9 a little to powerful for the fish we been seeing. But the 8 footers are fun.

you can look into more moderate surf rods, inshore rods, I know some guys mess around with steelhead rods as they come longer and much more moderate 

ODM dna

jigging world shadow surf

lami carbon surf 

are a few I been looking into as my next set up is gonna be newer light surf setup 

I’m using a 7 1/2’ st croix mojo with 4K Stradic Ci2 and 15 lb braid.  Great dink set up thats super light you can cast all day with. 

All above would be perfectly suitable.  Throwing small baits in the trough I would go with Gully's suggestion of what would be essentially a largemouth rod capable of throwing 3/4 oz.  These smaller fish can be some fun paired with a 3-4k reel and 10lb braid.

If you do want distance or something that can handle something over 1 oz there are plenty of salmon/steelhead rods that are much slower (bend throughout the blank) than your normal surf rods and can make these little fish more fun than just water skiing them to the beach.  Check out the st croix avids, theres a couple rated to 2 oz that work really well, again paired with a 4k.   Would double great as a beach albie rod.

I personally find it more advantageous to go with a moderate surf rod.  There are ones out there with enough backbone for bigger fish, but also let small fish show you what they've got.  

24 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I personally find it more advantageous to go with a moderate surf rod.  There are ones out there with enough backbone for bigger fish, but also let small fish show you what they've got.  

Do you have an example recommendation?

18 hours ago, bbfish said:

All above would be perfectly suitable.  Throwing small baits in the trough I would go with Gully's suggestion of what would be essentially a largemouth rod capable of throwing 3/4 oz.  These smaller fish can be some fun paired with a 3-4k reel and 10lb braid.

If you do want distance or something that can handle something over 1 oz there are plenty of salmon/steelhead rods that are much slower (bend throughout the blank) than your normal surf rods and can make these little fish more fun than just water skiing them to the beach.  Check out the st croix avids, theres a couple rated to 2 oz that work really well, again paired with a 4k.   Would double great as a beach albie rod.

I agree. I've had my eye on an Ugly Stik GX2 9' Medium. Seems to be a steelhead rod and I think it would make a killer kingfish rod with a 3000 size reel. 

33 mins ago, JJ2602 said:

If you've got a good bit of cash to play with,  I absolutely love my GSBSkinner.... Other than the fact that it has an outdated guide system, the thing is a beast. You could also do it custom by getting a GSB1201L and cutting 10 inches from the butt.   Never fished a rod that can do so many things well.  It's fun with 20 inch fish, and it fights the big girls well too.  I'd also look at a century slingshot 1145, much faster action but fun for schoolies and can handle decent fish.  super lightweight too, is a pleasure to fish with a 4000 reel (I've got mine paired with a slammer 4500)

Edited by Bluetaildragger

Over the summer I bought a Tsunami Carbon Shield II for fluke and small bass.  Just switched to it today for bass.  Caught a dink out front it was fun with the small fish.  7'-6", 3/8-3/4, $120 I think.  I think it's fast action but a lot of the rod bent today.  It's very light, too.  I was throwing up to 2 oz diamond jigs and crippled herring with it to try to reach the birds.  Handled in that fine.  I used a Shield 4000 for fluke but just put a Slammer 4500 on it today.  That's my regular reel for 9' rod and is a little big for this rod.  The Shield fits better but could probably go even smaller for this rod with a Shield or slammer.  Good luck.

Mike

Edited by Sam3631
Added lure weight I was using today.

18 hours ago, JJ2602 said:

I personally love a lighter setup almost all the time... 

if you where to go with one multipurpose rod, the 7’ st croix mojo surf is a great example. I use this rod most of the time. I can cast just about as far as someone’s with a rod in the 9ft range due to the guides. It’s fun with smaller fish and has enough back bone for large fish. In fact I use it for a boat rod as well, for the few times I’m out nowadays. I have pulled in 35# plus fish with it easily. 

Anyways- if you have a fresh water bass rod maybe give that I try one day, it will give you a good starting point and you may just end up liking it. I’m always surprised how far I can cast and catching small bass is super fun and can still get them in without wearing them out. Although top water plugs don’t go so well...

34 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I’ve got a rod with COF guides that can outcast my mojo any day.  I haven’t touched my mojo in about a year 

Forgive the ignorance, but what are COF guides?