Herring fishing this weekend

Rate this topic

BillHoo

I'll be up in NJ this weekend and Monday.

Will be checking out an Inlet and Marina in MOCO.  Checking into a Motor Lodge near the marina Saturday night.  Will probably be getting there really late (likely midnight).

I've got underwater LED lights and a couple Battery powered LED worklights to bring out on the dock.  Tide will be incoming and peak at 4:06 AM.

Will try sabiki and squid jigs to see what I can get.  If the bite is hot, I'll stay at least an hour.  If it doesn't produce within 15 minutes, I'll walk back to the motel for a few hours of sleep and try again in the early morning.

I'll probably get a few hours sleep and hit the dock at 6AM  - outgoing tide and some sun.  I'll try fishing for some winter flounder, jig for herring and again see if the squid jigs produce anything.

I expect Water temps in the mid 40s.(Thanks Squidder 329!).

If the dock seems dead, I'll head to the surf a bit.  I have to leave by 10ish to go fish a clothes washer for my tenant.  then a late Thanksgiving dinner with family.  Might fish again Sunday night.  Monday morning is rainy I hear.  will see...

Just now, BillHoo said:

Will try sabiki and squid jigs to see what I can get.  If the bite is hot, I'll stay at least an hour.  If it doesn't produce within 15 minutes, I'll walk back to the motel for a few hours of sleep and try again in the early morning.

Bring a few different styles of sabiki's, they've been picky and you have to use the one they want at that moment

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

11 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Bring a few different styles of sabiki's, they've been picky and you have to use the one they want at that moment

thanks!  Most definitely.  I have big ones and little ones in in a variety of styles.  One package says "made with real fish skin!".

Also have squid jigs in pink, orange, green and blue.  I also have a couple translucent ones with LED lights in them in the colors above!

Edited by BillHoo

On 12/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, Nostromo said:

I caught herring in MOCO a few years ago in late December on sabikis  Are they around already?

Yes they have moved in. Got one on the teaser in MOCO Friday night. Was suprised. Kept getting a lot of small bumps that night that I first thought were non-commital hits from schoolies, but after catching the herring, think it may have been them. Got into some schoolies that night too, so probably a mix of both.

Got into the area around the marina at midnight Saturday night.  Too tired, went to sleep and then slept thru my alarm.

Sunday morning Got to the dock at 7AM.  Already about 8 people there fishing for flounder.

I set up one pole for flounder with 4 inch white gulp.  the other using a sabiki rig in hopes of herring.

Fished til 10 AM outgoing tide, and sunny, no breeze.  air temp in the upper 30s.

Got nothing except this strange thing:

At first I thought it was some kind of eel because it was twisting around as I reeled it in.  Appears tro be some kind of plant.  It had a bunch of sea lice and shrimp all over it.  Made of dozens of disk-like petals wound around a central stem.

By 9:15 - One guy pulled in a 16 inch winter flounder caught with live blood worms.  I guys that was the preferred bait.  Everyone else was using clam, corn, gulp and colored plastic tubes.  By 9:30 the same guy caught another winter flounder in the 16 inch range.  I called it quits by 10AM as I had to go up to my rental property and fix a clothes washer for my tenant.  (belt had slipped off the motor)

seathing.jpg

Edited by BillHoo

Sunday night, I fished the same dock from 9PM to 11PM.

I lowered my 12 volt green LED fishing light into the water and there were hundreds of small bait ranging from 2 inches to 5 inches.  Nothing chasing them though.

I fished an LEDD squid rig, which looked neat.  Was wondering how to turn it on.  It seems to be salt water activated as it started to blink red when it hit the water.  visibility was maybe about 10 feet before I could not see the light in the murky depths.

I fished a sabiki with 1 inch lures and a flasher without any hits.  Casting into the dark water and jigging it toward the light.

I also used the Carolina rig with my 4 inch white gulp swimming mullet which blended in perfectly among the bait that was swimming near my LED light.

But no hots on any of those.  It was supposed to be an incoming tide, the currents were dragging things the way it does when it goes out.  there is a small sandbar out from the dock that did eventually get covered with water by 10:30.