Angler #1

Any Ice yet

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

We came so close to having safe ice in southeast MA before the rain last night wrecked it. I checked a small pond in Easton yesterday morning and there was about 3.5” of ice. All we needed was a couple more cold nights...

18 hours ago, z-man said:

We came so close to having safe ice in southeast MA before the rain last night wrecked it. I checked a small pond in Easton yesterday morning and there was about 3.5” of ice. All we needed was a couple more cold nights...

Ice-Fishing2.jpg

I have been fishing 3” most of the season so far. Probably my favorite ice is 3-4” black ice. Don’t need to lug out the auger and can chip holes in seconds. Also cool to see the fish coming through the ice; especially when they are big.

1 hour ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I have been fishing 3” most of the season so far. Probably my favorite ice is 3-4” black ice. Don’t need to lug out the auger and can chip holes in seconds. Also cool to see the fish coming through the ice; especially when they are big.

I haven't been on the ice in 3-4 years. Did the meredith rotary derby for several years, but, it started changing and  lost its charm. I sort of wish we had an artic winter this year. I would love to hit some ponds down here in plymouth and the cape. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Ice-Fishing2.jpg

This was 3.5” of not great ice.  The first inch or so was snow ice.  Now it’s a mess and going to need some cold nights to firm back up.  
I like at least 4” of ice before I feel comfortable fishing. 

Edited by z-man

I am fat and I fall.  
We also tend to ice fish as more of a social activity so very often there are several of us with an array of gear and children running around.

So I tend to like 5" or more.  Six before I bring the kids.

I have fished as little as 3"    But I was less fat and more nimble then.

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I had my atv on 10in of ice on a central ma pond the other day. plenty of ice to be found west of 495

How’s the ice surface? Any snow?  I might try to get out in that area this weekend and wondering if the kids should also bring skates and hockey gear. 

14 mins ago, z-man said:

How’s the ice surface? Any snow?  I might try to get out in that area this weekend and wondering if the kids should also bring skates and hockey gear. 

I would bring the skates the ice is nice and smooth If you are not in areas of foot traffic.