Angler #1

Any Ice yet

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Buzz in another time when I was working on a farm,  near Lake Champlain, I was around 15 or 16.  it was customary to take a day off and the whole farm family would go Perch fishing in the summer . We had some where around 6 or 7 of us all fishing for perch and after the day out on the water The son of the owner of the farm and I were given the task of cleaning up a mess of fish with pocket knives . Some were frozen and the other fillets were made into a big feast during the week. I can still recall that the size of the perch were no way near the size we caught in Jamaica Pond  and it was a chore to get a nice piece of meat, but non the less they tasted great once cooked up by the farmers wife.  One of the best fishing trips was using our hands to catch various trout in the rivers near the farm , that was only fished once a year . The farmer had a stream he stocked that ran through all of his property, That was great fishing with a fly rod another time another experience

Edited by Angler #1

Lake Champlain is funny.  I caught a lot of perch when I used to fish there, but they tended to be small.  My fishing was mostly in the south part of the lake where it is cloudy and has a discernable current.  Used to fish Mill Bay at Putnam Station when the walleyes weren't biting out in the channel, and when the ice was snow covered there would be no fish at all in that shallow, weed choked bay.  With clear ice or late ice, it would be loaded, however, even though it was hardly 6' deep at best.

At Lake George you have to sort through a lot of little ones but you do get slabs, especially in the spring when they invade the bays.  Saratoga Lake is known for big perch, but the bigger ones hit tipups better than jigs.  With my sounder, I locate big schools of finger sized perch too and occasionally bring up a 3" trophy.

BTW, Lake Champlain is overloaded with invasive white perch now.  I started catching them in the late 1970's, and they are more and more numerous.  No size or number limit on them, and apparently when you get into them they come fast and furious.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, zak-striper said:

I drive down Storrow Dr. in Boston on my way to work. The slower parts of the river have been icing over for at least a week.

Tooted the horn at one hardy soul.....0700 this AM fishing one honey hole from shore...…..18 degrees......skim ice at that location.  

I quit ice fishing about 15 years ago. But up until that time, I was an avid ice guy. Beside trout, my favorite fish to eat was yellow perch. IMO they rival smelt. Used to eat them fried for dinner all the time. We'd often cook them on the ice. 

As a kid, an old Swedish guy showed me how to clean a perch on Webster Lake. Using a sharp pocket knife, the entire process to seconds. I happened to find it online. If you enjoy yellow perch, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Just Google "how to clean a perch in 10 seconds".