hurricane1091

Fishing after 12/31

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I could of sworn I saw someone start a thread with a similar topic, and I was interested in the responses. Any idea if I am making this up or it happened on here or somewhere else? Basically, the person wanted to know who fishes after the holidays I guess, and I just wanted to see the responses!

If the fish are still there, than so is Charlie. Every year is different.  With sand eels in my area, I think I will be fishing long after the holidays.

1 hour ago, Potato Caboose said:

Usually do. The year of Sandy caught 4 including 2 keepers off the beach on January 18. 42 degrees water is pushing it but doable

That was a good winter. I had double digit fish nights the 2nd week of January. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The small fish stay around the rock piles pretty much all winter.  Luckily if you find one you usually have found a ton of them.  Besides the one epic winter with the white legger crabs (as long as your plug hit the water at night in the face of a jetty you hooked up) I've had them on soft plastics fished tight to jetties.  Funny enough, I very very rarely hook bass on gulp during the summer when fishing for fluke (even if I know they are there via snorkeling), but in the winter I'll throw the same double fluke rig with gulp on a 1/4 oz jighead and another on a dropper loop above and can double up over and over in the winter months.  Fish insanely tight to the rocks, as in dragging it just over them.  

Years ago I would make a concerted effort to catch fish all 12 months of the year and pulled it off a few times, feb and march are certainly the trickiest.  Its nice if you get a few freak warm days in jan-march to get out there, but I generally try to leave those little fish alone now.

Edited by bbfish

13 mins ago, hobobob said:

I'll be fishing for something, somewhere.  Not stripe bass, that's for sure.

ill post when we figure a cod date..mid jan and nother late feb. early mar...