fatbikerjoe

Manley or Sargent pliers?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Manleys rust, Sargents with the nickel coating last forever - I still have and use my grandfathers

Easy to find on ebay

Posted (edited) · Report post

20191203_205459.jpg.71174a37bfad8334a30a110fa8a0dbcb.jpgthese are the small Sargent's i carry in my bag. Like Sudsy said there easily found on ebay. This pair are from the 70's. Got them cheap still in the packaging.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

Sargent sportsman pliers have served me well to bad the braid cutting braid blade never lasted long. They would rust out too quickly and now I’m on the search for a small pair of stainless scissors to put in my bag, tried nail clippers but they never lasted long either. The pliers are great for removing hooks and they cut hooks like butter. 

There are braid scissors sold at all the winter shows and bait n tackle shops about $5 a pair. Some even have a sheath with a clip. Just wipe and oil once and awhile. Clip mine on my plier holster. 

Leaning over the gunnel of a rocking boat, the spring loaded Manley pliers (61/2") are excellent for cutting single strand wire on an unhappy, belligerent shark. The spring loaded aspect makes it a lot easier to open the cutter ,when you go to cut the wire and the fish moves. And the Manleys are great for mono and the occasional hook, but prefer the tethered Boomerang nippers for braid. And oh yes, a coiled lanyard drilled into the the handle of the pliers and connected to the sheath is a definite asset.

I have both sargent pliers and Knipex cutters which can do  all the hook cutting and are compact and can be used with one hand.  Don't need Knipex if you have sargents. BTW sargent sportsmen is a fishing specific tool with line cutters and separate  wire cutters on the tool .  I have tested the sargents cutting my biggest VMC trebles.

I just got a pair of the older nickel Sargents. Brand new in the package. Size 6.5"

In testing them out, I could easily cut stock bomber trebles and 4x strong VMC #1 trebles with one hand.

I don't remember where I stopped testing them, but I don't think they could handle a 2/0 or larger 4x/5x strong VMC/Mustad treble. I know there is no way they will cut a 5x 4/0 Mustad DuraSteel hook.

I will have to test them again and see where I think they top out using one hand and not destroying the cutter.

Thoughts on where the Sargents top out with one hand? It's something thats important to know before people go out buying these pliers thinking they are good to go for all the hooks in their bag.

I know the Knipex will cut through just about most hooks we use.

Again, If your pliers can cut braid, avoid using them to cut hooks unless you have to. Eventually, they will lose their ability to cut braid. I tried to sharpen my Manleys, but failed, and I'm pretty good at sharpening stuff

I have a pair of mini knipex cutters in the truck. Not a problem to use with one hand and they cut through VMC 4X trebles with ease.