fatbikerjoe

Manley or Sargent pliers?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Should get a pair for safety reasons to keep in the truck.  Sargent or Manley?  Both are about the same price.  Do not skish or swim, just wade fishing but do get splashed.

I think you will find it difficult to find the Sargent pliers as they have been discontinued. I like them very much if you can track down a used set. I don’t have any personal experience with the Manley’s. If you are just thinking to cut hooks and you plan to keep them the truck, another way to go is to get a cheap set of bolt cutters from Lowe’s of Home Depot. 

If your gonna keep it in the truck I'd suggest getting a bolt cutter from the local hardware store. Cheap and effective. I keep a Kobalt 8" bolt cutter from Lowes in the car in case of an emergency.  If they get worn out I simply return it to the store for a no hassle replacement.

I fish with an eleven inch long nose plier that I purchased at Harbor Freight for about five bucks that allows me to remove deep gut hooked fish and I also keep a pair of twelve inch bolt cutter that cost me twelve bucks at Harbor 

Freight ...And they both have a lifetime guarantee.. 

Sorry don’t want to disagree but I don’t think any one who mentioned bolt cutters can use them with one hand . Which is an essential if you have a hook buried in one hand and your alone you only have one to work with . Easy to do with manleys .

Posted (edited) · Report post

I always carry a 7" Sargent pliar/cutter with me beach fishing.  I have bent a couple of those light weight type aluminum/titanium type pliars torquing out 5/0 sized trebles from fish.  And I cannot imagine carrying a bolt cutter for that infrequent time that you have to cut a hook off of yourself-- it happens.  The pic is a predicament last summer, middle of the night, solo, walked in and a long way from help.

IMG_6348.JPG

Edited by sauerkraut

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked up a pair of calcutta heavy duty offshore pliers at the local gun/field/stream store. They look identical to the sargent sportsman, but with only 1 side cutter.  I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edited by kiddpitt

You can most certainly cut a hook with one hand using mini bolt cutters.

I keep a pair in the truck with me always. If I'm planning on fishing a long hike from the truck and have been getting into larger fish. I'll carry a small pair of Sargent's with me. Thankfully I've never got a hook into my hand that I had to cut out.

18 mins ago, kiddpitt said:

stainless steel, cut hooks fine

52A742BA-5151-4523-9116-138F12165040.jpeg

Was the purchase recently? I have not able to find anything on these, including the company website. It's ok to name the retailer. 

So long as you clean and oil them occasionally, a Pair of Manleys will last forever. I made the mistake of cutting hooks too many times with mine. They will no longer cut braid. But they did for the first 5 years. Keep a pair of nippers in the shop for changing hooks, save the Manley cutters for mono, braid, and emergencies.

44 mins ago, hobobob said:

Was the purchase recently? I have not able to find anything on these, including the company website. It's ok to name the retailer. 

yeah..that post was useless without pictures...errr I mean brand name...

I like tainesium......almost as much as I like japanesium

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

yeah..that post was useless without pictures...errr I mean brand name...

I like tainesium......almost as much as I like japanesium

Look who's talking. titanium pliers reviews? soon? 

2 hours ago, kiddpitt said:

I picked up a pair of CALCUTTA heavy duty offshore pliers at the local gun/field/stream store. They look identical to the sargent sportsman, but with only 1 side cutter.  I'll post a pic when I get home.

Got them about a week and a half ago, local place called French Creek Outfitters is getting rid of their fishing dept, everything's on sale.  Pliers were $27.

I looked online to see if the calcutta (CALCUTTA!) pliers were any good and couldn't find anything about them either.  But I had watched scoobydoo's plier video about a week prior & figured the hell, they look damn near the same.

If you’re looking for powerful cutting pliers I recommend either the 8” cutting pliers made by Sargent and/or Knipex cutters. Neither are fishing specific, both are available, the Knipex can be found through the usual home improvement/ hardware retailers, the Sargent will require a little more research but they’re out there.