JerseyMike609

Conservation conversation from Fishing reports for December 2019

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

53 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

Chesapeake Bay Journal has a story this month about mycobacterium and its potential impact on striper populations. They think 90% of Chesapeake stripers have bacteria by age five which could be leading to reduction of population in conjunction with overfishing or in lieu of it

Out of the 150+ fish I’ve caught out of the bay this year not one had any spots or lesions on it. Lots of reports on social media about guys catching fish in the bay and I haven’t noticed more than a fish or two out of the tons of photos of fish have lesions or sores. Obv not a great indicator of the state of that sickness but I think that was worse years ago than today. I could be wrong but I highly doubt that would be the sole cause of fish being “missing”

plenty of big fish are caught in the canal with those lesions and spots and I have noticed a lot of the newer year classes just with the fish I’ve caught have seemed much cleaner. When I was fishing the bay with my dad when I was younger we would encounter some with the spots. I fish much harder in the bay now and I see one or two a season and I fish the bay seasonally quite a bit. 

7 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

My narrative.... haha. Funny how jersey guys think they know exactly what the deal is down here. It don’t matter what the size limit would be because 2011s would have fit into 18”, 19” or 20” minimum which has been the changing limit since 2011. The Chesapeake bay has such small limits because fish are around all the time when they are young enough so to have a 28” minimum, as an example, would be extremely hard for the economy of the state (I am 100% not sticking up for MD at all, that is the reality of the fishery down here) so no matter what those fish would have been targeted. Jersey doesn’t even see only Chesapeake fish anyway. Delaware fish and I would guess Hudson fish show up on your beaches. So let’s see since you’re so knowledgeable about the situation down here in MD I guess our MD fisherman depleted some Hudson fish and Delaware river fish too?  I know that doesn’t fit your narrative either, but those are facts as well. 

If you’d like start a new thread and we can go from there . . . We’re discussing the Chesapeake 2011 class.  Not Hudson or Delaware fish.  

22 mins ago, cartopper said:

If you’d like start a new thread and we can go from there . . . We’re discussing the Chesapeake 2011 class.  Not Hudson or Delaware fish.  

Well originally the discussion was about how there were few keeper size fish showing up on your beaches the past couple years. Somehow this turned into MD killing all the fish that are supposed to be showing up on your beaches. I’m done discussing something that a finger can’t really be put on because of the sheer enormity of the striped bass fishery with a plethora of variables that could contribute to less keepers on jersey beaches. 

MD has laughable regulations.  It’s certainly not the only issue on the coast, not by a long shot, but it seems like a decent place to start.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

MD has laughable regulations.  It’s certainly not the only issue on the coast, not by a long shot, but it seems like a decent place to start.

It is laughable but I don’t think it’s the #1 cause of the demise of a year class

2 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

You refusing to blame fisherman for keeping fish does not add up. It’s fisherman, it’s poachers, it’s charters, it’s comms, it is everyone who fishes for striped bass by any means.

What do you mean? People who keep legal fish aren't breaking the law. I literally cannot control or stop someone from obeying the law, and I recognize that. What I can do is lobby for better regulations.

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

What do you mean? People who keep legal fish aren't breaking the law. I literally cannot control or stop someone from obeying the law, and I recognize that. What I can do is lobby for better regulations.

That wasn’t what I was getting at but we can only hope that the small fish around up there will survive the gauntlet for a few years. 

Never thought I would say this since there seems to be a number of issues causing the current problem with getting keeper sized bass in N.J. from the beach, I think the destruction of the food chain because of beach replenishment is a major contributor to the problem as well as the loss of structure. At this point what is needed is a COAST WIDE MORATORIUM. Catch and release only until the situation improves.

11 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Out of the 150+ fish I’ve caught out of the bay this year not one had any spots or lesions on it. Lots of reports on social media about guys catching fish in the bay and I haven’t noticed more than a fish or two out of the tons of photos of fish have lesions or sores. Obv not a great indicator of the state of that sickness but I think that was worse years ago than today. I could be wrong but I highly doubt that would be the sole cause of fish being “missing”

plenty of big fish are caught in the canal with those lesions and spots and I have noticed a lot of the newer year classes just with the fish I’ve caught have seemed much cleaner. When I was fishing the bay with my dad when I was younger we would encounter some with the spots. I fish much harder in the bay now and I see one or two a season and I fish the bay seasonally quite a bit. 

According to authors by age 5 90% Chesapeake stripers have disease with some just exhibiting lesions internally. 

I was always under impression that Chesapeake had different refs because it was main breeding area as well as area of breeding success. 

My apologies to guys that want to chase the reports.

1 hour ago, Potato Caboose said:

According to authors by age 5 90% Chesapeake stripers have disease with some just exhibiting lesions internally. 

I was always under impression that Chesapeake had different refs because it was main breeding area as well as area of breeding success. 

My apologies to guys that want to chase the reports.

Sorry one last thing they tagged fish from Chesapeake for the mycobacterium study so if you see a tag take quick pic if there is info on it(not sure what it would be). They have not received info on tags not sure if fish died out or just not caught. 

if new fish regs do not improve stock they think this myco may have bigger role in population decrease

31 mins ago, Fishlessjoe said:

Is this the fishing reports page? Thought maybe I stumbled on to the wrong thread.

Beat it kook, this is the Striped Bass population complaints box. Drop a complaint or a dink pic and sit tight.

All too often the great citizens of this country become FIXATED on TREATING their problems. These problems are consistently reoccurring and this is true for all topics. Lets take hospitals/medicine for example. Mr Senior Citizen has bad back pain so Mr doctor prescribes pain killers and therapy. Those PK solve his problems right? now he can go dance right? WRONG, hes just putting a bandage on the wound. That is how you short sighted kooks problem solve...

Size regulations are no different than the pain killers in my example. Its a short term solution to save a few fish and save face. MD is a damn mess and a huge culprit in the lack on Striped Bass along our coast. But you have to ask why? My answer is the polluted Chesapeake Bay watershed. These fish are spawning in toxic water thanks to farm runoff and storm waster water.

Adress the problems at the source and devise a plan that anticipates heavy rains, high winds, and etc that cause the run off to drain into the bay. This is bigger than MD... this is MD, VA, PA, NY, and DE that feed into the CB. The same can be said about other spawning tributaries.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There's no money to be made for politicians..........like on-going beach replenishment.....believe me, they couldn't give a damn about saltwater recreational activities or the well-being of the fishery... other than making a beach to sit on and collect badge fees.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal