Africa destinations?

Rate this topic

Albieaddict

I have a work trip coming up that will take me to Rwanda and on to China. There is some flexibility in my timing here, and I may be able to sneak off for up to four days.

Are there any locations worth "stopping by" on this trip? This would be a guided trip, I would assume, as I'm not interested in traveling with a bunch of gear. Large saltwater species are generally my target with an emphasis on sight fishing whenever possible. I know GTs roam out there...

Timing is looking like early/middle of January. 

AA

Or go mad for Tigerfish, the The Mnyera & Ruhudji Rivers in Tanzania are widely regarded as a superb destination to target Tigers (FW) in the 10 – 25lb range.

Just had a client (rods) come back from a trip to each in the last 4 weeks.

Offshore for Geets, Dogtooth Tuna etc is HARD work.

I'll post some photo's of his achievements.

Edited by ZAFisher

Albieaddict, See if you can get your hands on a copy of book, 'The World atlas of saltwater fishing', by Ken Schultz.

Many copies out there new and used for as little as $5.

Chapters on fishing in Kenya,[nearest your Rawanda destination], also chapters on Senegal, Mauritius, and South Africa.

Nothing beats personal recommendations as by ZAFisher above, but book gives a general overview of more developed fishing centers around the World.

Either way the book is a great read and reference for not only travelers but regular anglers at home.

Hello Conner,

Sounds like your new venture may be doing well ?   Hope so.

You might want to contact Peter Coetzee.    Peter used to post on this forum a few years back.   Remember him from his "Ultimate Fly Reel" post in particular.   Anyway he is one of the authors of the website "feathers and fluro (dot) com".   Take out the spaces.     He's fished just about everywhere but I think he's local to South Africa and has an unbelievable amount of knowledge.   Also some great "how to's" on his website.     I don't have his email but there is a contact page on his website.

If you get a chance to go don't forget to give us a trip report :)

Good Luck

HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT