eelbasher

Live center/drive

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just putting a Xmas list together of goodies and wondering a few things. What size do you prefer for the drive? 1” or 5/8”. I’m thinking 5/8” would be better because if I wanted to work with smaller stock. 

Also most of the live centers I’ve looked at seem similar. Any ones to stay away from?

Thanka guys

99 percent of the time I only use 3/8..then again most of the tails on my plugs range from 7/16 to 9/16..bodies can be from 5" up to 11.5 inches.

I never leave square stock on either end..all cut to lenght before spinning...and cut all the corners off at a 45 ..makes it easier on the blade without the square edges beating the blade to death.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like the crown spur drive or multi tooth drive centers and live tailstock centers. They are easy to load and self centering if you need to rechuck after removing from the lathe. I have gotten rid of the pointed center pins and replaced them with 5/64" straight center pins which perfectly fit my 5/64" center through drills. They make the headstock centers in 5/8" and 1" dia. and the live tailstock center is 3/4" dia.. They are easy to find on line. They were the 2nd best addition to my lathe. The first was carbide cutters. The ones I have are from PSI but there are lots of other brands that all look the same.

1%22 center.jpg

3:4%22 live center.jpg

5:8 center.jpg

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

Just now, fishing bum wannabe said:

I like the crown spur drive or multi tooth drive centers and live tailstock centers. They are easy to load and self centering if you need to rechuck after removing from the lathe. I have gotten rid of the pointed center pins and replaced them with 5/64" straight center pins which perfectly fit my 5/64" center through drills. They make the headstock centers in 5/8" and 1" dia. and the live tailstock center is 3/4" dia.. They are easy to find on line. They were the 2nd best addition to my lathe. The first was carbide cutters.

1%22 center.jpg

3:4%22 live center.jpg

5:8 center.jpg

These are exactly what I was looking at. Thanks for the info!

Most of the stock I turn is 1.5" AYC balusters or birch so mostly I am using the 1" Drive. CapeSams suggestion to rip off the corners is spot on, particularly if you are turning hardwoods. 

2 hours ago, fishing bum wannabe said:

Most of the stock I turn is 1.5" AYC balusters or birch so mostly I am using the 1" Drive. CapeSams suggestion to rip off the corners is spot on, particularly if you are turning hardwoods. 

Yeah I use the same size balusters also. I figure the 5/8” might be better for turning stuff smaller in diameter