Niffty

Rock 'n' Roll dilemma

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Senorita asks me last night if I want to go see the Bouncing Souls on 12/20.  They're one of her favorite bands.  I like them a lot too, but they have sort of jumped the shark for me recently.  Been going to see them since the 90s.  The conflict is that I was planning to go see Mephiskapheles and The Pietasters, two of my favorite ska bands (Meph is one of my all time favorite bands) who are opening for the Slackers that night.  I've seen all of these bands a lot of times in the last 20+ years.  Seen Meph 5x this year and The Monkeychunks played with both Meph and the Pietasters separately in the past year.  (Yes, I get to play gigs with some of my favorite bands. :hi5::cool: :howdy:)  So, I sort of know some of the guys in those bands now and would like to say hi and support them.  Also, my show is $55 for 2 tix and her is closer to $80.  Of course I'm buying the tix either way.  And my show is around the corner from my office.  

That said, I'm inclined to bow to her desires.  (Always the smarter move, right? :idea: )  She will have just finished up her second to last semester of school.  While my days are 12 hours and I bear most of the burden of our coexistence, I have not spent the last four months cooped up in the office until after midnight most nights studying.  I basically get to do what I want.  I go to shows alone while she stays in studying.  I go fishing.  I go to my club meetings.  I rehearse and play gigs.  She is all the time studying.  I will also be going to a show both Friday and Saturday of this weekend without her.  I think she deserves the break. 

Seems pretty obvious that I should take her to her show, but I thought it would be good to get the tavern take on it.  BB has 35 years under his belt.  He might know something.  Basically I'll do the opposite of whatever Y says.  :scuba: 

Just now, Billybob said:

Do you even need to ask?

Bouncing Souls it is.

Do I need to tell you what you could do after the show?

Go to Disney 

7 mins ago, titleguy said:

I went  to The Clash exhibit in London last week celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of London Calling.  Pretty cool.

Holy Chit !

That was 40 years ago.??? Where did the years go?

13 mins ago, Niffty said:

I go to my club meetings. 

All the Highlands guys (Fletcher, Chris, the old guys) are wearing the hoodies.  I asked them if they knew the "punk rock looking guy" and they all said yes :laugh: 

1 min ago, mark77 said:

Slackers/Pietasters sounds like a better show

Oh you know it is.  Sadly, that's not the point.  :(  Meph has a new EP out and Mighty Whitey just got re-issued on vinyl.  

20 mins ago, titleguy said:

I went  to The Clash exhibit in London last week celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of London Calling.  Pretty cool.

Do any hunting while you were over there?? 

5 mins ago, Niffty said:

Oh you know it is.  Sadly, that's not the point.  :(  Meph has a new EP out and Mighty Whitey just got re-issued on vinyl.  

Just play Good,Bad, Argyle on the ride for her.

28 mins ago, Niffty said:

Senorita asks me last night if I want to go see the Bouncing Souls on 12/20.  They're one of her favorite bands.  I like them a lot too, but they have sort of jumped the shark for me recently.  Been going to see them since the 90s.  The conflict is that I was planning to go see Mephiskapheles and The Pietasters, two of my favorite ska bands (Meph is one of my all time favorite bands) who are opening for the Slackers that night.  I've seen all of these bands a lot of times in the last 20+ years.  Seen Meph 5x this year and The Monkeychunks played with both Meph and the Pietasters separately in the past year.  (Yes, I get to play gigs with some of my favorite bands. :hi5::cool: :howdy:)  So, I sort of know some of the guys in those bands now and would like to say hi and support them.  Also, my show is $55 for 2 tix and her is closer to $80.  Of course I'm buying the tix either way.  And my show is around the corner from my office.  

That said, I'm inclined to bow to her desires.  (Always the smarter move, right? :idea: )  She will have just finished up her second to last semester of school.  While my days are 12 hours and I bear most of the burden of our coexistence, I have not spent the last four months cooped up in the office until after midnight most nights studying.  I basically get to do what I want.  I go to shows alone while she stays in studying.  I go fishing.  I go to my club meetings.  I rehearse and play gigs.  She is all the time studying.  I will also be going to a show both Friday and Saturday of this weekend without her.  I think she deserves the break. 

Seems pretty obvious that I should take her to her show, but I thought it would be good to get the tavern take on it.  BB has 35 years under his belt.  He might know something.  Basically I'll do the opposite of whatever Y says.  :scuba: 

You need to grow the hell up young man! That stuff is for 13 year olds! Join the Navy or something.