fishinthedark

My Question To RJ About river herring(Alewives) in the Hudson

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This is why this site is still the best, I PM(ed) RJ with a question about the potential of a small feeder creek's in the Hudson producing Alewives in the spring.

He was kind enough to share his response; The first part of the below post is my question, the second RJ response..... 

Thanks SOL and Thanks RJ

My Question To RJ:

I am scouting out some areas on the hudson for the spring and had a question about herring runs in the Hudson. 
I know that Tappan Zee bridge  ( i refuse to call it by any other name) is the demarcation line between fresh and salt water for NY State. 
I know too south of the Bridge you cannot use herring as bait.

My intentions are to try and potentially plug fish a smaller feeder creek. 
My question to you is are the alewives numerous enough that they will try and spawn in any feeder creek. 
I am speaking the ones south of the Tappan Zee in Westchester.
Do you think herring are numerous enough for them to enter these creeks?

I have read enough to know that a High tide coinciding with night time hours are should be the preferred time to try and fish for these fish.They have attempted to restock the Bronx River, 
but I don't think there are enough fish there to even try.

Thanks in advance for anything that you might care to share with me.

RJ's Response:

The nearest herring run to you is the Croton River that enters the Hudson River under the Railroad Bridge below Harmon Station In Croton on Hudson.
It rarely occur’s because it flows into 100% Salt Water.  If the Snow pac melting and heavy Spring rainstorms creates a pure water environment in to May.  Croton Point blocks the Salt while the surge coming down from the Croton Dam Spillway about 4 mikes up River from Route 9.

The Hudson River salt line is north of the Bear Mountain Bridge. The water between the Narrow and 280 foot trench that the narrow passage the retreating Glaciers left as they melted. The water north of the Bear mountain bridge becomes a mix of Snow packed rivers and streams moving south from the Adirondack & Green Mountains through the upper Hudson River.  The North facing  Catskill Moutain slopes streams feed water into the Mohawk River and the The East facing slopes into the Hudson River below the Federal Dam above Troy, NY.  The Hudson Water Shed begins  in the Great Lakes between Canada  and  Michigan.
That water flows over Niagara Falls and The Leland Canal in Canada In to Lake Ontario!  A Canal in Oswego, NY and a stream at Bremerton, NY flow into the Mohawk River & the Erie Canal!
The Water north of the George Washington  Bridge Seperates the Salt Water Permit you need to renew each year to the Migratory Fishing permit for Striped Bass.
BluebackHerring and Alewife Herring spawn North of West Point all the way up to the Federal Dam. All of the Rivers & Streams above I -84 Newburgh/Beacon Bridge have active herring spawning activity. Striped Bass, American Shad and the two herring species are Andromus.  They need pure salt water.

Go online and study the Special Hudson Fishing Regt.

You can net or Sabikij rig jigging 10 herring a day for bait! Alewive Herring like to spawn in the tidal creek and a rivers that flow into the 110 miles of Freshwater Tidal environment between I-84 and the Federal Dam.  Blue herring spawn on rocky shores that are exposed by the dropping tides 4 to 5 feet tidal exchange twice a day are the average tide rise & fall.
The Hudson River herring are abundant enough to be harvested by recreational anglers. None of the Herring runs in New England are open to fish!  NJ & PA waters are closed to herring fishing.
you can not net herring in tributaries.  Jigging is allowed!

You will need a freshwater fishing license in the Tribs!

3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Herring is a great fish to catch on ultra light equipment.. Scale,clean and then pickle. They taste delicious.. 

wrong herring.