jps1010

Why don’t more tackle shop owners and tackle mfgs speak up about the dismal fishing?

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

After seeing some of the sales online, I was considering taking advantage of them and spending several hundred dollars on a fishing reel and then maybe a new rod over the winter.  However, after having my own reservations due to the fishery, and my nephew coming over last night and expressing the same concerns, I am probably going to pass on buying anything and save the money.  It’s good to see life out there but to be honest, the only option I have in the surf nowadays are schoolies which does get old after a while.  There are no big blues, no weakfish and a bass over 28” is a rarity.  I guess they don’t they realize the more fish that are around to catch, the more people will fish/spend money on fishing related tackle.

Unless I change my mind, the reel, and rod mfg. along with the tackleshop, lost out on a sale.

At least in my experience, most of the tackle shops side against  conservation and will make hundreds of excuses regarding the dismal state of the fisheries, with none of them being "overfishing". The ones who are vocal about this no longer receive my support. That, combined with the state of the fisheries, is why I barely purchased any tackle this year.

When the fishing's good...…..  all you need is a penn 704, a rod with 3 guides, and a mustad hook...…...

I live near the Hudson river...…..  I don't think it's over fishing of stripers....  It's overfishing of the bait they eat...…   There has always been as many stripers as there is bait...…   Bad time in the cosmos to be a mendhaden or aliewife……..

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, C.Robin said:

At least in my experience, most of the tackle shops side against  conservation and will make hundreds of excuses regarding the dismal state of the fisheries, with none of them being "overfishing". The ones who are vocal about this no longer receive my support. That, combined with the state of the fisheries, is why I barely purchased any tackle this year.

Granted I only deal with a few tackle shops but to a man they all side with us on conservation issues. Those who don't should be avoided. Support the guys who care about our fisheries it's not hard to find those that do.

Edited by afterhours
sp

My main tackle shop here in Ct always promoted conservation, even when the striper fishing was good.

He refused to be a weigh-in station for the striper cup, even though it probably would have helped his bottom line. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

You know, you just can't catch fish unless you belong to the Low Spark of Van Staal Boys Club, don't follow the latest gear hawked by John Skinner, etc.  At times fishermen are the most gullible group in the world and can't remember that a fish can't tell if that properly presented lure/bait in front of them has a $1000 or $100 rod/reel combo at the other end...

As for the tackle shops, they, like charter/head boats, need folks to buy so they like to see their "Brag Boards" full of dead fish photos to entice a certain clientele.  Not saying this is good, but it is a fact we have to consider in our rants.  Some boats/tackle shops do promote conservation so those of us who feel that way should do our business there, but we're not in a position to chastise those that don't...

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

After seeing some of the sales online, I was considering taking advantage of them and spending several hundred dollars on a fishing reel and then maybe a new rod over the winter.  However, after having my own reservations due to the fishery, and my nephew coming over last night and expressing the same concerns, I am probably going to pass on buying anything and save the money.  It’s good to see life out there but to be honest, the only option I have in the surf nowadays are schoolies which does get old after a while.  There are no big blues, no weakfish and a bass over 28” is a rarity.  I guess they don’t they realize the more fish that are around to catch, the more people will fish/spend money on fishing related tackle.

Unless I change my mind, the reel, and rod mfg. along with the tackleshop, lost out on a sale.

I agree with everything you say. I've never seen fishing this bad. A complete lack of opportunities for shore based anglers.

I think the shops care. I don't think that the manufacturers give two craps. Heck, VS even supported the 'empty oceans' act last year. In general, they're concerned about their profits today, they don't worry about tomorrow.

Too small of a market to make any difference.   There are probably more bureaucrats sitting around doing nothing and making big bucks thinking about the problem than there are tackle shop employees.  

Perhaps it's simply that these businesses are trying to survive anyway they can, so they stay out of such controversy. 

I have a small tackle business, and am concerned about our fisheries. I'm a member of some groups that are there to support the fisheries, I write emails & sign petitions & such, but don't express my thoughts much on public forums such as this here at SOL. Frankly, it's preaching to the choir for the most part, yet there are still anglers who will deny there's any problem with the fisheries. There's plenty who don't seem to care either way. Any involvement they have is here & now, and little or no thought about the future. That's how many people are.

I wish I had answers that meant something, but like you folks am only one person. Too much involving the fisheries also involves politics on a broader scale and we all see how that's going these days. Folks lives involve a lot more than fishing, even business owners involved with these sports. 

I grew up & lived in MD most of my life, and still have many contacts there including family who fish. I try to stay up on what's happening with the Chesapeake Bay, because what affects the Bay affects the Stripers & other fisheries along the entire Atlantic coast. I'm very sorry to say it all may be a lost cause. For many years I've heard, clean up the bay, fix the fisheries, and all that seems to be falling on deaf ears.  A lot of talk, very little action, and doesn't look to be changing in any positive manner. Most likely the same in other states as it relates to them. 

Interestingly enough I just got an email from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, an organization that I've supported in the past, but now feel, they're a waste of my time. The email was for a fund raising event. Seems to me that's all they do! I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. 

While I was still living in MD, and fishing there, I stopped targeting Stripers, and spent my fishing time chasing other fish. I refused to even fish for them during the "trophy" season. I felt that those big spawners should have been left alone. There are plenty of folks who feel the same, but more that don't. When I did fish for Stripers it was for schoolies & only catch & release, often in some small back creek, which was my own self imposed restriction. Not something that many would do. The predominant attitude is " I'm getting mine" and that is helping to kill the fisheries, and part of that is due to the politics of trying to appease everyone. It doesn't work!  I remember the moratorium years too.

It's difficult enough being in the tackle business, and there's limited funds for supporting causes and stay in business at the same time. It's a catch 22 situation for certain. 

I now concentrate more of my efforts on freshwater and the Striper fishing in our lakes here in SC and other states. For me, that's the future. I'll stay abreast of what's happening along the Atlantic & Chesapeake Bay with the Stripers & other fisheries, but don't see any improvement for the future unless hard decisions are made and people are voted in place that will try to help the fisheries, and I don't see that happening either unfortunately. Too many other "important" issues take precedent over our concerns for the fisheries, so they're getting lost in the quagmire. 

I'm sure that some of you have witnessed various tackle related businesses going out of business. I expect that to get worse. 

I just read that Pure Fishing has bought Van Stahl & Fin Nor. Do you see them getting involved in concerns over fishing & conserving our fisheries? Are they concerned about the Atlantic coast fisheries and how it affects their business?  I'm sure they do to some extent, but again they're not going to say too much because some of their customer base isn't concerned over any of this, and they're not going to alienate any potential customer if they can help it. It's also not their only source of potential customers.

It's a very sad state of affairs right now. 

22 mins ago, Jim H said:

Perhaps it's simply that these businesses are trying to survive anyway they can, so they stay out of such controversy. 

I have a small tackle business, and am concerned about our fisheries. I'm a member of some groups that are there to support the fisheries, I write emails & sign petitions & such, but don't express my thoughts much on public forums such as this here at SOL. Frankly, it's preaching to the choir for the most part, yet there are still anglers who will deny there's any problem with the fisheries. There's plenty who don't seem to care either way. Any involvement they have is here & now, and little or no thought about the future. That's how many people are.

I wish I had answers that meant something, but like you folks am only one person. Too much involving the fisheries also involves politics on a broader scale and we all see how that's going these days. Folks lives involve a lot more than fishing, even business owners involved with these sports. 

I grew up & lived in MD most of my life, and still have many contacts there including family who fish. I try to stay up on what's happening with the Chesapeake Bay, because what affects the Bay affects the Stripers & other fisheries along the entire Atlantic coast. I'm very sorry to say it all may be a lost cause. For many years I've heard, clean up the bay, fix the fisheries, and all that seems to be falling on deaf ears.  A lot of talk, very little action, and doesn't look to be changing in any positive manner. Most likely the same in other states as it relates to them. 

Interestingly enough I just got an email from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, an organization that I've supported in the past, but now feel, they're a waste of my time. The email was for a fund raising event. Seems to me that's all they do! I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. 

While I was still living in MD, and fishing there, I stopped targeting Stripers, and spent my fishing time chasing other fish. I refused to even fish for them during the "trophy" season. I felt that those big spawners should have been left alone. There are plenty of folks who feel the same, but more that don't. When I did fish for Stripers it was for schoolies & only catch & release, often in some small back creek, which was my own self imposed restriction. Not something that many would do. The predominant attitude is " I'm getting mine" and that is helping to kill the fisheries, and part of that is due to the politics of trying to appease everyone. It doesn't work!  I remember the moratorium years too.

It's difficult enough being in the tackle business, and there's limited funds for supporting causes and stay in business at the same time. It's a catch 22 situation for certain. 

I now concentrate more of my efforts on freshwater and the Striper fishing in our lakes here in SC and other states. For me, that's the future. I'll stay abreast of what's happening along the Atlantic & Chesapeake Bay with the Stripers & other fisheries, but don't see any improvement for the future unless hard decisions are made and people are voted in place that will try to help the fisheries, and I don't see that happening either unfortunately. Too many other "important" issues take precedent over our concerns for the fisheries, so they're getting lost in the quagmire. 

I'm sure that some of you have witnessed various tackle related businesses going out of business. I expect that to get worse. 

I just read that Pure Fishing has bought Van Stahl & Fin Nor. Do you see them getting involved in concerns over fishing & conserving our fisheries? Are they concerned about the Atlantic coast fisheries and how it affects their business?  I'm sure they do to some extent, but again they're not going to say too much because some of their customer base isn't concerned over any of this, and they're not going to alienate any potential customer if they can help it. It's also not their only source of potential customers.

It's a very sad state of affairs right now. 

If there was a tackle shop that was a vocal supporter of strict fisheries management near me, I wouldn't go anywhere else. I certainly don't speak for everyone, but there seems to be a growing number of anglers who are realizing the value of fish left in the water than in a cooler.