Jason B

Need Bag Inserts

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks fellas for all the advice. A lot of good options, but as some have said, they are often required to be bought in bulk and get wicked expensive. Gear Up looks like it has 8.5” and I need a 9”. Can’t remember who made the bag, but its a good sail bag.

you can find inexpensive tubes here and there, but too flimsy for long term. What do you think, 2mm minimum thickness?  

Edited by Jason B

8 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

If I remember I'm gonna check out the florescent tube protectors. I've been looking for smaller tubes.

Don't bother, that stuff is too thin and weak. I tried it and didn't even get through a half a season and the tubes were all cracked and chipped.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Jason B said:

Thanks fellas for all the advice. A lot of good options, but as some have said, they are often required to be bought in bulk and get wicked expensive. Gear Up looks like it has 8.5” and I need a 9”. Can’t remember who made the bag, but its a good sail bag.

you can find inexpensive tubes here and there, but too flimsy for long term. What do you think, 2mm minimum thickness?  

Everyone seems to break the thin-walled ones but me. I intentionally used the thin-walled saving 50% in weight. I carried my weight in plugs, not tubes. I never broke a single tube in any of my bags in over twenty years and I used my stuff pretty hard.

Edited by SC

1 hour ago, SC said:

Everyone seems to break the thin-walled ones but me. I intentionally used the thin-walled saving 50% in weight. I carried my weight in plugs, not tubes. I never broke a single tube in any of my bags in over twenty years and I used my stuff pretty hard.

Maybe you’re right, just buy the cheap Ebay/amazon tubes and see how it goes, all I’ll be out is $12.

23 mins ago, Jason B said:

Maybe you’re right, just buy the cheap Ebay/amazon tubes and see how it goes, all I’ll be out is $12.

I didn't buy the thin-wall to save money. I chose to carry a lighter weight bag allowing more plug weight instead of more tube weight. Plugs were more important to me than a heavier tube that provided me not one single advantage (in my opinion) but on the other hand maybe one of the four extra plugs I could carry with no additional weight penalty when compared with a smaller bag with heavier tubes could have provided me a memorable night of fish and likely did. We all have our own opinion.

I use the florescent light tubes as well.

No problems but then again I'm not rough on my gear at all.

Duct taped them together and hot glued a piece of that plastic grid stuff (that the kiddies use to sew wool through) on the bottom.

Works a treat for me YMMV....