Food

Daiwa Certate LT 5000

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone used this on the surf?  Hard to tell what the size of the 5000 is. I’m on the west coast and use an 11’ Century Stealth 1-4. Not dunking my reel at all but it will get splashed. The spool size seems to be in line with reels I’m comfortable with at 300 yards 30# braid.  Paired with the stealth this would be a super light setup. Would like to know if this reel can handle a good sized fish even if they are few and far between over here. 

thanks for any advice 

Ryan

10 mins ago, instigator said:

I think you wouldnt want the 5000 on anything bigger then a 9 'rod.  Its a smaller size reel similar to vsx150

On the left coat we generally run lighter setups. My buddy’s favorite reel with his 11’ Stealth is actually the VSX150. 

I’ve heard plenty of good things about the Certate but I just checked in on the Daiwa site and they list capacity at 230 for 30 lb braid. That seems a bit low to be comfortable for me. However, it probably holds plenty of 20 lb and that’s what I use on the open beaches here in Marin. 

I agree that you will see a number folks using saltiga 4000’s and other, lighter reels out here, vsx included, on their 11 foot rods. But these have substantially more line capacity and are notably burly for their weight. 

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

I’ve heard plenty of good things about the Certate but I just checked in on the Daiwa site and they list capacity at 230 for 30 lb braid. That seems a bit low to be comfortable for me. However, it probably holds plenty of 20 lb and that’s what I use on the open beaches here in Marin. 

I agree that you will see a number folks using saltiga 4000’s and other, lighter reels out here, vsx included, on their 11 foot rods. But these have substantially more line capacity and are notably burly for their weight. 

Thanks AP.  I wish there was some place in the area that I could check one out.

I love how the Daiwa video has the guy catching a GT with it. Would think if it could handle that it shouldn’t have a problem with a 20# striper. 

2 hours ago, Food said:

Thanks AP.  I wish there was some place in the area that I could check one out.

I love how the Daiwa video has the guy catching a GT with it. Would think if it could handle that it shouldn’t have a problem with a 20# striper. 

Hmmmmm.. just looked up the video you mentioned on YT. As true as that may be, one has to wonder under what conditions you can get away with that, and how many times. You will note that most of the YT regulars fishing for GT, or roosters, or kingfish, or tuna are in situations where they are putting their trust into larger reels.

But 20 pounds, sure.

5 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Hmmmmm.. just looked up the video you mentioned on YT. As true as that may be, one has to wonder under what conditions you can get away with that, and how many times. You will note that most of the YT regulars fishing for GT, or roosters, or kingfish, or tuna are in situations where they are putting their trust into larger reels.

But 20 pounds, sure.

Exactly my point AP Daiwa is up selling a reel that is probably better suited to bays and freshwater.  Not to say it isn’t a good reel it looks like a hell of a piece of equipment but I know folks on here have a much more realist view on what surf equipment can handle. Thanks for your thoughts. 

11 hours ago, Food said:

On the left coat we generally run lighter setups. My buddy’s favorite reel with his 11’ Stealth is actually the VSX150. 

You want a well balanced setup imo - Thats how you damage gears and get problems. id imagine that the rod would be heavier then the reel which might feel weird - im using the 4000lt certate on a 8'8 rod feels nice !