Heavy Hooksetter

whole dead shark on the beach

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

wonder what killed it,,maybe one of them rotten seals it ate?

(*removed link added text from MSN website)

A 6-foot, fully intact shark was found Sunday on a Cape Cod beach with its reddened mouth open and jagged teeth exposed. a shark in the water: A 6 foot dead porbeagle shark was found a half mile mile north of Marconi Beach on Sunday. Cause of death remains unknown.

shark.jpg

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy posted a photo of the odd discovery on Facebook and noted the dead shark was discovered about a half mile north of Marconi Beach on Cape Cod.
It was identified as a porbeagle shark, the nonprofit said in a Facebook post.
“Cause of death unknown,” the post said. “The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries has been notified.”
Porbeagles are a warm-blooded coastal species of shark known to grow up to nearly 7 feet in length and live nearly 50 years, according to Oceana.org. However, the largest on record was nearly 12 feet, the organization says.
The photo does not show any wounds on the shark, though its open mouth appears to be circled in a reddish color.
Geovani Alves of Framingham, Massachusetts, was the first to report the shark, which he saw washing toward shore about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, The Cape Cod Times reports.
Alves, who was paragliding in the area, said he tried to force “the shark back into the water, but the surf washed it back onto the beach,” the newspaper reported.

Edited by TimS

6 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

anyone have any ideas on what could have killed it?

maybe water temp?

HH

I wish it was eating those seals, unfortunately it was a Porbeagle shark, a member of the mackerel shark family and as such much more interested in fish than in any larger marine mammals. 

I doubt it was killed by cold water temps, Porbeagles are known to be a cold water species of sharks found to range North to Canada, Greenland and Scandinavia. 

Probably died due to a straw some rotten ass through in a water, sea life death related to increased cocaine consumption has sky rocketed since people trash output has gone up. They were never able to do large quantities beforehand due to paper getting soggy.

20 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I wish it was eating those seals, unfortunately it was a Porbeagle shark, a member of the mackerel shark family and as such much more interested in fish than in any larger marine mammals. 

I doubt it was killed by cold water temps, Porbeagles are known to be a cold water species of sharks found to range North to Canada, Greenland and Scandinavia. 

oh,I see.

I kinda thought they were actually more like a GW than a salmon shark.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

oh,I see.

I kinda thought they were actually more like a GW than a salmon shark.

HH

Porbeagles are actually closely related and similar in their biology to their Pacific equivalent the salmon shark.

Edited by Sandbar1

2 hours ago, Grayson said:

Probably died due to a straw some rotten ass through in a water, sea life death related to increased cocaine consumption has sky rocketed since people trash output has gone up. They were never able to do large quantities beforehand due to paper getting soggy.

18462lab2kb21.jpg

Pacific Porbeagle AKA Salmon Shark, Lamna ditropis, is closely related to the Atlantic Porbeagle, Lamna nasus, since they're both members of Genus Lamnidae, just like striped bass, Morone saxatilis, and the white perch, Morone americana.

The dead give away to ID an Atlantic Porbeagle is the white patch on the bottom trailing edge of the dorsal fin, which the picture clearly shows. 

BBXFcLl.img?h=630&w=1119&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

People usually misidentify porbeagles as "Makos".  I've seen charter captains post shots of "Makos" with that white patch.  Around here we jokingly call them "Boothbay Hahbah Makos".  The teeth are far more similar to makos than GWs, BUT with a huge difference in that they are tricuspid, so there's no reason anyone could misidentify a porbeagle...

Maraiche_(dents).jpg

Might have been something as simple as chasing herring or mackerel up against the beach on a dropping tide, and getting caught in the shallows.  Threshers die that way every now and then.  Porbeagles are more pelagic than threshers, but they follow bait, and this one might have come in just a little too close.

Looks like a Porbeagle.  I have seen 3 in the last several years wash up on beaches in Boston. 

This one was 2017, washed up on the pines river in Revere out of all places. 

7F58C33B-A9F4-44CF-9588-654B02B81313.jpeg

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Looks like it got caught in a troll net, I bet it's still fresh enough to salvage the meat. 

I think they go in the shallows eating bait fish and get stranded. Years ago In the 80's at the Revere Lynn mouth and Revere Beach  we would see large sand tigers and porbeagles go stranded.