BrianBM

IRT Reel discount

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

. . . actual use (and abuse) vs holding while spooling . . . done that vs heard from  . . . power of the web . . . I dunno -- you decide . . .

Ross Scroble fought many striper using prototype IRT200 reel on a party boat out of Belmar, NJ yesterday. I used the same reel for togging with 7' Black Hole Challenger Bank 701 L rod in RI yesterday and caught many though they were small.

irt200.jpg

12 hours ago, ksong said:

I don't regard as replacement, but addition to existing reels.

Good answer Kil, very professional. I like it...;)

Lou T

9 hours ago, dennysnook said:

I have been abusing my IRTs for a few years now, 300 and 500DD prototypes. They aren't refined like my Stellas and Saltigas, but they have put alot of fish on deck for me and are absolute workhorses that didn't fail me with no maintenence. Used them like a winch and gearset has lasted me the longest even past the Stella SWB 6KPG capabilities. Little rougher now on my 500DD but thing has winched in 1000s of pounds so is to be expected but keeps winching in fish like no other reel I have ever owned.

Only issue I ever had was line issues, which I attributed to the shape of the spool lip. My reels have a gentle curve, like a 706z would, and if I filled past that curved point would have windknot issues. They recommended to not fill past that point, but I felt you lost casting distance and I max fill to maximize casting potentional on all my reels. Out of respect for IRT because the people I have dealt with have been absolute top notch guys, I would not comment until now about my findings, while they investigated the issues. To my knowledge they have refined the spool lip shape, and made improvements to allow max filling of the reel and changed the spool lip based on my recommendations, although I was having the most issues among test reels. Those guys are genuinely concerned with offering the best product they can, and I only dealt with them in the capacity to beat it up and report the truth back to them. Hesitated to comment because this is the internet, and everything gets twisted and appeared as badmouthing, when I want them to succeed because it has been a great reel for me. That is the truth for yall, and unless there are any objections from IRT because my reels are prototypes and other modifications might have been made, I can send my abused 500 to Scooby for breakdown. If anyone has further questions, please quote me so I get notifications. On the run right now fishing very long days, so I don't get to browse SOL much.

9 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Me too. Know I have torqued on those harder than any reels I have ever owned, and haven't experienced one failure over ALOT of fish in heavy current. Seems ideal for that place. Pictures of fish and what I have seen online besides my findings honestly don't do anything for me, that wow factor is pointless when I catch good fish on baby rods in my spare time. Longevity means something. These reels have held up for me, and that says alot right there for me. Please elaborate on what has failed, because I haven't heard of anything through Mike, Kil, and my friend Simon in one of those pictures.

Great review dennysnook. 

It's clear, it was written from extensive testing. Keep us in the loop, on how the new spool revisions work out.

It's the way a participant should contribute...:th::th:

Lou T

On 12/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, scoobydoo said:

:)

You're the only person the internet sees with them in use.....

So your'e the advertiser by default :)

Their pro staffers are not doing a very good job at shining spotlight on their product...might want to pass that along to them...

Forget pro staffers. I want to hear from people that paid MSRP about their experience. 

50 mins ago, ged said:

Forget pro staffers. I want to hear from people that paid MSRP about their experience. 

Why is it so important to you if the pay MSRP or not? Why not asking the same from Penn users ? Daiwa users ? 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Two weeks ago I was fishing togs on a party boat next to Kil and he did very well with his rods and IRT reels.

Although not hands-on experience but visual experience.

37 mins ago, levari said:

Why is it so important to you if the pay MSRP or not? Why not asking the same from Penn users ? Daiwa users ? 

Because that's the person you'll get the most honest opinion from. We don't have to ask the same from penn or daiwa users because those reviews are all over the place. Plenty of people have penn, daiwa, shimano, etc. reels, and talk about them readily. There's basically no reviews out there about IRT.

39 mins ago, levari said:

Because I value the opinion differently if one paid retail price for something, or was paid to use something, or is a salemsan for the product etc. 

8 mins ago, ged said:

Because I value the opinion differently if one paid retail price for something, or was paid to use something, or is a salemsan for the product etc. 

my point was that you are eliminating the experience of those who bought the reel at a discount price.

All my VS reels were bought at a discount price but by no mean I have any association to VS other than owning their reels.

41 mins ago, ged said:

Could not agree more.  If you got paid, on the pro staff, got a discount, free reel, photos of you on their Insta, invite to iCast, free stickers and/ or if you are buddies with the guys at X tackle company. 

Anything.

Your opinion has a giant asterisk next to it.   

Impartial comment is the one with the highest value providing the person has sufficient knowledge to give one.

The comment should not be different if full retail is paid or purchased at a discount. The value judgements might differ having said that.

Personally  I get fed up of having obvious marketing pics stuffed into my face.

Fly boys for some reason like to include in the pic the handle between their teeth with reel on full show even when not promoting a reel.

Most reviews I am very sceptical about.

mike

On 12/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Impartial comment is the one with the highest value providing the person has sufficient knowledge to give one.

The comment should not be different if full retail is paid or purchased at a discount. The value judgements might differ having said that.

Personally  I get fed up of having obvious marketing pics stuffed into my face.

Fly boys for some reason like to include in the pic the handle between their teeth with reel on full show even when not promoting a reel.

Most reviews I am very sceptical about.

mike

That's why I offered to send my reel to Scooby for another opinion, know he shoots it straight, and exactly why I do not want ties to any one company. If they are looking for prostaff or pics, then I'm not to guy for you. Tested for Diawa in the past and testing for Penn now under the conditions that I can beat it up and report my findings back to them, nothing more. I'm just as interested in user reviews on IRT myself for more opinions because all I see currently is alot of pictures that tell me nothing about a reel, nothing of substance. I know what the reel has been capable of for me and friends I trust and that's about it, and since I got one to test my opinion has an asterisk to many. The whole social media approach by every company out there to sell reels with fluff over substance has taken over the industry and why guys like Alan Hawk and Scooby hold so much validity to buyers. 

Denny

I agree with you 100%. Social media and fluff make good bed fellows.

Not sure if the guys out there reading this stuff  are easily lead.

I hope not. Everyone is seeking our attention in order to sell us something.

cheers

Mike