Shag

VS Ancestry

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

This “Pure Fishing” acquisition had me thinking this happened before or something like it. I remember “Bill” at Surfcaster involved early on in development, then the actual builder running the show. Then a sale to what I thought was “Pure Fishing” then who knows. Anyone know? 

Before Bill was involved with the Surf 300 Concept Reel supposedly Rob was turning custom billet spools for Bill. They were in the catalog but never available the multiple times I tried. Eventually Bill connected me with Rob and we dealt direct. I am unsure of whatever transpired between them both immediately before the V.S. launch.

14 mins ago, SC said:

Before Bill was involved with the Surf 300 Concept Reel supposedly Rob was turning custom billet spools for Bill. They were in the catalog but never available the multiple times I tried. Eventually Bill connected me with Rob and we dealt direct. I am unsure of whatever transpired between them both immediately before the V.S. launch.

I got my first when Dietrich got involved post launch. They were also doing those engraved side plates and the VS bag line. Do you know where the company went from there. I had a 250 with the HD drag system, wish I still did.

19 hours ago, SC said:

Wasn't Rob making the stainless steel shafts for the Cracks that Bill used to sell in Montauk at that time too SC?

3 hours ago, Alconite said:

Wasn't Rob making the stainless steel shafts for the Cracks that Bill used to sell in Montauk at that time too SC?

I don't remember the shafts from Bill other than the stock ones. He use to press in stainless bearings too.  I remember it was later in the game when Bill advertised the custom billet spools he seemed unable to obtain. The following year or two at the most and the Surf 300 Concept Reel appeared in the catalog never to be produced.

Edited by SC

Prinesberger was a pisser man. He was the guy that taught me how to press the pinion bearing,and gear,off the shaft without breaking it,right at False Bar.. Then,he decided to stop selling parts. He was a too funny. I loved him though. Barbara too.

41 mins ago, Alconite said:

Prinesberger was a pisser man. He was the guy that taught me how to press the pinion bearing,and gear,off the shaft without breaking it,right at False Bar.. Then,he decided to stop selling parts. He was a too funny. I loved him though. Barbara too.

Used to love the idea that Barbara wrote a note back

to you with every order. 

Barbara was around only during the last few years. Bill was married to Thalia, they divorced and a couple of years later Barbara was in the picture. They were both very nice.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, Alconite said:

I guess Thalia was before my time SC. As were the gray,"Graylites". Mine were green.:shaky:,a few years later.

Gralites were my favorite waders of all time. Bought several pair from Bill and Barbara.